swap wiring blues 98 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joe_30psi

i am in need of big advice. i am working on a 98 civic that had a 1.6 vtec out of a 01 civic SI swaped in.The car had a non vtec 1.6 in it stock. The engine runs but has various problems.In the gauge cluster olny gas and temp works. No speedo or tach. The coolant fans will not come on. And to boot it has a newly installed turbo kit. It doesn't like any pressure above 1 or 2 lbs.I have tried to get into the computer with my scan tool but comes up link error??? It is supposed to have the computer out of the 01 in it. I don't know how to tell. Any help would be great i am very green on the hondas. As it shows.
Joe

As far as the tach and speedo go on that motor they are read from the dist. and on your car i know they are not read from there. So i would try find a jumper and the right comp for it and narrow it down from there>

I found out that the engine is out of a 2000 civic si not the 01 like I thought. Also I pulled the speedo gear out of the tranny and when you spin it it clicks a relay in the underhood fuse box the relay say its for the clutch. I wonder if i had a cluster for my 98 if it would work because It has the gauge cluster out of the 2000 in the car now.

hello im working on a swap similar, yes you need the P2T ecu out of the SI and a obd2a to OBD2b conversion harness. You can get it from rywire.com or i can sell you one for 100 shipped. Or you can go through the hassle or routing all of the wires by yourself but i have an extra one.
As far as tach goes it should be fine make shure you connectors ar pluged in tight happened to me once.

Thanks for the info!! Where does the harness go?Could this be why my scan tool will not read the computer? How do I tell which ecu I have In the car now? i will prob get the harness from you also. Also do i need a missing link to put in between my map sensor for boost.
Joe

regarding your boost and map sensor i cant help you out there. Regarding your ecu/harness: Your ECU is located at the bottom right passenger's side (under the glove box, but inside fenderwall area. to get to it you need to remove about to peices of interior trim. If you car in a 1998, most likeley you have an OBD2a ECU because 1996-1998 ECU's are obd2a and 1999 to 2000 civics are obd2b. On an OBD 2a ecu 2 big plugs are used empty section and then a smaller end plug. On the OBD2b ECU there are 3 plugs in a row. You can tell what kind of ECU you have but reding the middle 3 characters on the top tine of the serials #'s, for example it might be like 12345-P2P-003. the P2P part is going to basically determine your ECU for the most part) there is a link under references spot on this site that helped me out alot. your car, if like ex or hx, i think its ganna be a P2P or P2E. However to run that motor you have efficiently or the pest way is to get a P2T (civic si) Ecu which is obd2b. You plug your existing harness connection into the end of the jumper harness, the jumper harness then connects you to the P2T ecu. Let me know if you want the harness asap after reading this because i put it up on ebay for 100 buy it now. and it probably wont last because everyone sells them for 135(rywire) or 139(boomslang).

come on guys need help

I have got a ecu harness to go from A to B but the harness plugs into my 2000 p2t ecu with 3 plugs but will not plug into my car harness. the car harness has 2 plugs a blue and a gray. My car which is a 98 had a 1.6 non vtec in it. Now i have put a 2000 1.6 vtec into it. what do I need to make this thing work??? should there be 3 plugs in my 98 factory harness????? Somebody please help.

I take it that they take your harness and add and or move wires around to make it plug and play. Is this why I olny have 2 connectors in the inside of the car for the ecu? will I still need the ecu jumper for the 2000 Si ecu? thanks joe

you only need the jumper if you use your stock wiring. After they converts your harness you will not need the jumper. Just call them today and they will brake it all down for you.

Back