Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88blacksi

Grandpa
My cuz wants to built a sohc non vtec all motor. He wants to know what you guys have achieved. So he can decide what is ahead

I have a feeling your "cuz" wants to build that junk motor because he is afraid of swapping it out. The truth is to "Build" the motor it has to be pulled from the car anyways and that is half of a swap done already, tossing in a B series motor is no harder than putting the stock motor back in. But aside from that single cam non vtec motors are not really worth building, if he was planning on throwing on a cheap turbo setup for fun that would be one thing but trying to make good power will be a struggle. If he was to replace the head with a vtec head which flows better and some pop up pistons with a more aggressive cam and other assorted bolt ons it may make 160whp. Built for turbo with internals and headwork it would pull around 200whp with tuning. My suggestion,(Which many many people will disagree with "You cheapass's!") is to do a b series swap. Even the base model ls can be modestly modified to achieve these numbers and much more.

sohc nonvtec motor build...maybe 140 whp? lol, your cuz does NOT want to do that.

Just get a D-series vtec with high-comp pistons and all the other goods so you can get that 160 whp, or leave it stock and turbocharge for 200+whp.

By the way killercannible I don't know where you're getting your numbers from...200whp d-series turbo with headwork and internals with a good tune? Stock d-series can be pushed to 250 whp with a perfect tune, stock. No internals. No headwork. Just a stock d with a turbo kit.

Shit a D-series with internals, headwork, sleeves, and a good tune can reach 400+whp.

For what it will cost to build that sohc, you can swap in a b16. He will enjoy the b16, especially over a sohc.

Back