swapping from LS to LS VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BIGJOSEPH

Big Joseph
hey my buddy is considering swapping is b18b LS motor to a LS VTEC, i was wondering what all needed to be changes, what would be the better head to run the gsr or the b16. will the intake mani and header of the b18b bolt up to either one of them and i read you need to drill and tap for some oil lines. is it a pretty basic swap. also what ecu should en ran for the VTEC the p28 or p72, thanks

I'm pretty sure you can use whichever header you want, but for the intake mani you should use the one from a VTEC head. An LS VTEC will run on whatever ECU originally came with the head. If you want to use a P28, you'll need to get it chipped and programmed with the appropriate maps for an LS/VTEC setup. A stock P28 by itself will not run the motor correctly.

And yes, you need to run some oil lines. Do a search for "Golden Eagle LS VTEC kit" and you will find a pre-made kit with the oil lines and head gasket that you will need for the swap.

alright well i ended up getting the car from him, he does not know shit it is a 96 with a 2000 swap, is there different obd on those two years.

Back