Sway Bar Sizing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaaseyRacer

So I just order some Tein HAs and ITR LCAs for my 1989 Civic DX. The ITR LCAs will allow me to run the HAs and run a rear sway bar which I currently do not have. The Tein HAs have 6k front springs (336lbs) and 8k rear springs (448lbs). What size rear sway bar should I run I have heard a lot of people tell me I should run a 22mm bar as that is the size that Progress, Suspension Techniques, and Eibach bars are. Also can anyone tell me if they have noticed a difference between brands in terms of mounting equipment? I really do not want to tear out a sway bar, so mounting quality is key, and I am willing to spend some more coin for a bar with better mounting equipment if that is what is comes down to.
Thanks.

since your rear spring rates are high enough ,you really dont need to worry about tearout. i'm running a 22mm ITR bar with beaks kit and i love it. never experienced another though

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Aug 16 2004, 03:51 PM
I know the ITR LCAs fit on an EF, but I have not heard anything about an ITR sway bar fitting an EF.
[post=377654]Quoted post[/post]​

that's right - it definitely won't fit in an EF. it mounts to a totally different part of the car.

Ive been looking to hook up my ef with some teins (basics or ss, though probably basics as ive begun to focus more on the miata for being my go fast in the twisties car). Any suggestions on places to procure said coilovers?

Originally posted by Blanco+Aug 17 2004, 01:31 PM-->
I was just planning on running the Neuspeed 22mm rear sway on my Si, since there's so few choices for the EF. The ITR LCA's probably open that up quite a bit, I would imagine. IF I may ask, how much is that going to run you? The Neuspeed sway is around $500. So for like $200 for the LCAs and $300 for the bar, I might aswell just go with the Neuspeed...I think.
[post=378157]Quoted post[/post]​

I paid $600 for the used Tein HAs and the ITR rear LCAs shipped. One of the tein coilovers needs a new rubber shock cover, so that is 12 bucks. So that is $612 bucks for that package. The for the sway bar I am looking at the Suspension Techniques as it is fully adjustable. It is $125 at jegs.com, however my car does not have a stock rear bar as I just found out. So I need to get the 40 dollar mounting kit too. So for 165 bucks plus shipping I can have my rear sway bar set up, and I am going to use my stock front bar, as it is adiquite for what I am doing, if anything I will put an HF front bar in as it is hollow and softer. So my total for my suspension set is going to be around $785 with shipping and all on my sway bar.

Guy
@Aug 17 2004, 01:38 PM
Ive been looking to hook up my ef with some teins (basics or ss, though probably basics as ive begun to focus more on the miata for being my go fast in the twisties car). Any suggestions on places to procure said coilovers?
[post=378162]Quoted post[/post]​

That is a good idea stick with that the only reason I went with the HAs were the price. I was planing on buying basics for the EF. I too have a miata, and I have a bilstein/Eibach/Ground Control set up (i.e. spec miata). Plus I have racing beat sway bars. I got the suspension from my roommate for practicly nothing, and I just bought some Rota wheels for it. I am going to build up my all motor b16 EF hatch which I have already started so I am going to finish, and then I am going to sell it, and put a blower on my miata, and rock that around and find another daily driver.

As far as places to obtain Teins check out the dealer section of honda-tech, and search around places like optauto.com, and do a google search. Also a heads up the Tein SS and the Tein Basics have the same spring weights, and the only real difference is that the SSs are 16 way adjustable which IMO is more of a headache. I have not got my HAs yet, but I am running a KYB/Eibach/Ground Control set up now, and the only reason I am upgrading is that my KYBs are shot. The Tein basic from the experience I have had with them in my buddies car at an auto-x are the best bang for the buck.

At the moment I think I am looking into the 7/8" (22mm), and I am not looking to get a set. I have a stock front bar, and I am going to keep that. From those that I have talked to, I have been told to keep my stock bar. I am told if I am still having handling issues either get an hf front bar if I want a softer bar, or get a DA integra or after market bar if I want a stiffer bar. So I think I am going to order a 22mm Suspension Techniques bar after I install the Teins, but keep the feed back coming regardless.

That is a good idea stick with that the only reason I went with the HAs were the price. I was planing on buying basics for the EF. I too have a miata, and I have a bilstein/Eibach/Ground Control set up (i.e. spec miata). Plus I have racing beat sway bars. I got the suspension from my roommate for practicly nothing, and I just bought some Rota wheels for it. I am going to build up my all motor b16 EF hatch which I have already started so I am going to finish, and then I am going to sell it, and put a blower on my miata, and rock that around and find another daily driver.

As far as places to obtain Teins check out the dealer section of honda-tech, and search around places like optauto.com, and do a google search. Also a heads up the Tein SS and the Tein Basics have the same spring weights, and the only real difference is that the SSs are 16 way adjustable which IMO is more of a headache. I have not got my HAs yet, but I am running a KYB/Eibach/Ground Control set up now, and the only reason I am upgrading is that my KYBs are shot. The Tein basic from the experience I have had with them in my buddies car at an auto-x are the best bang for the buck.
[post=378178]Quoted post[/post]​

Hate to threadjack but you seem to be a little more knowledgable about teins so ill ask you. Ive heard that the stiffer spring rates of the integra basics are a little better than the relativly speaking softer crx ones, does it require and modification to affix them to a crx?

Also, its cool to see someone who has an all motor B16 ef and a miata, which is the samething that ive got going. what year is your miata?

Originally posted by bcman+Aug 17 2004, 12:39 AM-->
MaaseyRacer
@Aug 16 2004, 03:51 PM
I know the ITR LCAs fit on an EF, but I have not heard anything about an ITR sway bar fitting an EF.
[post=377654]Quoted post[/post]​

that's right - it definitely won't fit in an EF. it mounts to a totally different part of the car.
[post=377847]Quoted post[/post]​

If you already swaped the ITR LCA's the sway bar should fit cause it's the place where the end links are bolted on...and so on the sway bar bolt onto the end links... :D

i think the problem is that an integra may be a tad wider then the efs. so when putting the LCA's on the efs, the LCAs are actually closer together then they would be on the integra. and if thats true then the type r bar wont fit, it will be too long. thats just my guess, im not positive.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Aug 17 2004, 08:43 AM
Sweet man I that is the answer I have been looking for. Thanks. BTW is that a Klein in you avitar? :)
[post=377991]Quoted post[/post]​

why, yes it is. good eye!

Back