1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sway Bar Sizing

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by MaaseyRacer, Aug 16, 2004.

1. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

So I just order some Tein HAs and ITR LCAs for my 1989 Civic DX. The ITR LCAs will allow me to run the HAs and run a rear sway bar which I currently do not have. The Tein HAs have 6k front springs (336lbs) and 8k rear springs (448lbs). What size rear sway bar should I run I have heard a lot of people tell me I should run a 22mm bar as that is the size that Progress, Suspension Techniques, and Eibach bars are. Also can anyone tell me if they have noticed a difference between brands in terms of mounting equipment? I really do not want to tear out a sway bar, so mounting quality is key, and I am willing to spend some more coin for a bar with better mounting equipment if that is what is comes down to.
    Thanks.

2. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

since your rear spring rates are high enough ,you really dont need to worry about tearout. i'm running a 22mm ITR bar with beaks kit and i love it. never experienced another though

3. MaaseyRacer

I know the ITR LCAs fit on an EF, but I have not heard anything about an ITR sway bar fitting an EF.

4. bcman

bcman Senior Member

that's right - it definitely won't fit in an EF. it mounts to a totally different part of the car.

5. MaaseyRacer

Sweet man I that is the answer I have been looking for. Thanks. BTW is that a Klein in you avitar? :)

6. Guy

Guy Senior Member

Ive been looking to hook up my ef with some teins (basics or ss, though probably basics as ive begun to focus more on the miata for being my go fast in the twisties car). Any suggestions on places to procure said coilovers?

7. MaaseyRacer

That is a good idea stick with that the only reason I went with the HAs were the price. I was planing on buying basics for the EF. I too have a miata, and I have a bilstein/Eibach/Ground Control set up (i.e. spec miata). Plus I have racing beat sway bars. I got the suspension from my roommate for practicly nothing, and I just bought some Rota wheels for it. I am going to build up my all motor b16 EF hatch which I have already started so I am going to finish, and then I am going to sell it, and put a blower on my miata, and rock that around and find another daily driver.

As far as places to obtain Teins check out the dealer section of honda-tech, and search around places like optauto.com, and do a google search. Also a heads up the Tein SS and the Tein Basics have the same spring weights, and the only real difference is that the SSs are 16 way adjustable which IMO is more of a headache. I have not got my HAs yet, but I am running a KYB/Eibach/Ground Control set up now, and the only reason I am upgrading is that my KYBs are shot. The Tein basic from the experience I have had with them in my buddies car at an auto-x are the best bang for the buck.

8. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i would take 16 way adjustability over none any day of the week.

9. MaaseyRacer

At the moment I think I am looking into the 7/8" (22mm), and I am not looking to get a set. I have a stock front bar, and I am going to keep that. From those that I have talked to, I have been told to keep my stock bar. I am told if I am still having handling issues either get an hf front bar if I want a softer bar, or get a DA integra or after market bar if I want a stiffer bar. So I think I am going to order a 22mm Suspension Techniques bar after I install the Teins, but keep the feed back coming regardless.

10. Guy

Guy Senior Member

Hate to threadjack but you seem to be a little more knowledgable about teins so ill ask you. Ive heard that the stiffer spring rates of the integra basics are a little better than the relativly speaking softer crx ones, does it require and modification to affix them to a crx?

Also, its cool to see someone who has an all motor B16 ef and a miata, which is the samething that ive got going. what year is your miata?

11. hybridalien

hybridalien Member

If you already swaped the ITR LCA's the sway bar should fit cause it's the place where the end links are bolted on...and so on the sway bar bolt onto the end links... :D

12. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

i think the problem is that an integra may be a tad wider then the efs. so when putting the LCA's on the efs, the LCAs are actually closer together then they would be on the integra. and if thats true then the type r bar wont fit, it will be too long. thats just my guess, im not positive.

13. bcman

bcman Senior Member

why, yes it is. good eye!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted