System restorations suck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
So I FINALLY got around to installing Windows 7 Ultimate last night from my pre-release house party package I got waaaaaaaaay back early last year- mostly because my RTM copy was about to expire, and the system was shutting down after 1 hour of uptime- and I decided to reconfigure all the partitions in my RAID array.

Which SUCKS because I had copied everything over to my 2TB backup drive- which means that I'm now copying it all BACK. 45 minutes down, 45 minutes to go- and that's at over 100MB/s. Waiting sucks. And that's just one partition.

Oh well, new clean system > waiting on file copy.

word of advice. keep bulk data off the OS drive and on a separate drive. try to keep the OS drive to the OS/updates/programs. then make use of the image backup option in Win7. make monthly/weekly/whatever system images and never worry about restoring everything again :)

whats sad is my system image is still like 90 gigs cause of all the games lol

Oh, don't worry- I'm still organizing data. Current backup scheme is this:

Nightly parity backups of all computers in the house to the WHS
Monthly complete backups of the WHS stored in an off-site location

I used to run separate physical drives for everything, but I wanted the speed of RAID-0, so I did after I built the server. Now that I'm redoing the system, I'll be putting all my storage data (programs, photos, videos etc) onto the server so they're accessible by all machines in the house without MY power hungry PC being on, and so that those files are always backed up too. Then all I'll have is documents, games and system on the local machine.

But I'm still moving a terabyte back and forth off of one of my backup drives... and even over eSATA 3Gb/s it takes a while.

thats crazy overkill for backups lol

my laptop backs up to my terastation. terastation is off 95% of the year. lol

Nah, gotta have good data integrity when you're running almost a dozen systems at home and you have stuff going back 20+ years that you want to hold on to. I'd rather spend a few hundred more up front and have an extra offsite storage location than one day have a house fire and lose all my financial information. ;)

Back