Taillights/Instrument Panel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Import R

So I'm driving down the strip and I look down at my gauges and there's no light. I pull over and check my taillights, and sure as shit they are out too. I get home and pull the fuse, it's blown.

I grab another 15A fuse and turn my lights on, <poof> it blows too. I checked my bulbs, and I even checked the instrument panel dimmer switch. I have blown a good half dozen fuses trying to check out multiple things. Still can't track down wtf is wrong. Anyone with ideas?

Originally posted by Import R@Jun 12 2004, 03:50 PM
So I'm driving down the strip and I look down at my gauges and there's no light. I pull over and check my taillights, and sure as shit they are out too. I get home and pull the fuse, it's blown.

I grab another 15A fuse and turn my lights on, <poof> it blows too. I checked my bulbs, and I even checked the instrument panel dimmer switch. I have blown a good half dozen fuses trying to check out multiple things. Still can't track down wtf is wrong. Anyone with ideas?

Get a wiring diagram for that circuit. Check what the amperage and number of the fuse that keeps blowing is, and then look through a set of wiring diagrams for your car (Helms). Obviously you have a short somewhere, you just have to figure out which wire is grouding out

Yeah, I have a chilton/haynes manual for the car. Over the last couple months I have concluded that they are completely useless since they don't cover everything I am looking for. In the section on chassis electrical, they fail to show any diagrams for the exterior/interior lighting. :(

Any chance somebody has a page they can copy and post a pic of for me?

i had the exact same problem

tore my ENTIRE interior apart... traced every wire for shorts all the way to the tail lights.
found nothing
put it all back together

brought it to the dealer.

they said they popped in a new fuse and it worked.

:wtf:

3 years later, its still fine, and i never knew what it was.

just read on your fuse box cover what else that fuse runs like headlights, tails, license plate lights whatever and check those wires. same thing happened to me and it was my license plate wires were pinched by the rear bumper support.

Well, after searching google yesterday, i came across a .pdf file of the factory manual. Found the wires that I need. Just have to start running down the wires later today after work. Thank god I never put my interior back in the car! I'll let you guys know what I find.

Yeah man I'm having the same problem with my headlights only, I can turn on my parking lights and everything will be okay then as soon as I put on the headlights the fuse in the engine bay for the headlights blow out. I've spoke to several people including a guy that works for honda and they say check the wiring between the headlights and the main fuse box. Which fuse are you blowing (interior or exterior)? I don't remember if there is a fuse under the hood for the tail lights. I'll be working on that today, and I'll post my findings hope it helps you.

I am blowing the interior fuse. I haven't played with the car in about 2 weeks. I have a new problem that requires my attention. Somehow I have a pinhole on the underside of my gastank that has now drained my gas tank all over my driveway. This happened about 2 days after the taillights deal. So now that I am finally getting some extra cash, I have to spend about $150 on a new gas tank for the car. :(

No point in fixing my lights if I can't even get the car rolling. All these problems just have me so frustrated and pissed off I hate even looking out the window to see my car. Hopefully when my tank comes in (2 day special order) I can get it installed and track down the lighting problem over the weekend and get back up and running.

ROFL, don't tempt me. I saw your leet jb weld job you did on the radiator for your del sol. I'm waiting on some dry time so I can do it up. It's been raining here for the last couple weeks and I have no room in the garage to put the car cause its filled with car parts and engines.

One question though, i've never actually used jb weld... is it going to dissolve in gas like half the other things I have tried to plug the hole with?

Back