teggy ls, with new head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22acivic

Hi, my friend has a 96 LS teggy, and wants a new head for it to make it vtec, I wanted to know for him what is everything he will need, for the wiring and what not, also is his ls engine long block or short block, I never did find out which was which. He either wants a gsr head or a b16 head, which do you suggest and so on, thanks for your help in advance, KYLE

I'd go with a b16 head.....from what i've heard its very well balanced an is closest to a type R head......just from what i've heard i'm goin non-vtec LS-t in my EF an b16 allmotor in my EG

Your choice of head matters very little. Get what ever head you can find for a reasonable price. For a list of materials needed, go to our FAQ.

well if you are goin with the b16 then you gonna need a vtec ecu and to make the most power out of it i suggest getting a ITR intake manifold and a ITR headers if you cant get this items check out homemadeturbo.com in the forum they have a bunch of good deals i have heard that if you go with the gsr head you get more power but you wont rev that much so...

Originally posted by greencivic@Aug 18 2003, 11:48 PM
well if you are goin with the b16 then you gonna need a vtec ecu and to make the most power out of it i suggest getting a ITR intake manifold and a ITR headers if you cant get this items check out homemadeturbo.com in the forum they have a bunch of good deals i have heard that if you go with the gsr head you get more power but you wont rev that much so...

What???

This is full of crap. The B16 and GSR head are both capable of revving higher than your bottom end can handle, the head casting has very little to do with redline.

He will have to run a VTEC ECU if he runs a B16 or a B18C head.

you will also need to run an oil line from the head to the oil pan, and you will need to add a few wires to your stock wire harness too. the wires are an oil pressure wire, a vtec solenoid wire and a vtec solenoid ground wire. you will also need the vtec distributor.

the lsvtec kit costs very little like 70-100 bucks. As for heads, GSR has a smaller combustiom chamber hence raising compression, the design of the ports are also different from the b16/itr head. The b16/ITR head are teh same except the ITR gets a polish/port from the factory but it's very very minimal, not worth getting if you had to choose between the two.

On a flow chart the GSR head flows a little more in the midrange and the ITR/b16a head flow a littler more on top, that study was done by TOO aka fuckass Larry :)

What it should come down to is literally price and condition of product.

If you are running stock b16 cams then you don't need to upgrade to an ITR intake manny, that manny only see's gains above 8000rpm hence for the ITR. and if your buddy is going to be running the vtec head with stock ls pistons then make sure he watches piston to valve clearance.

Milan

Back