Temporary registration help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spiritofjosh

know your role!
I searched and couldn't find a lot of answers for this but anybody know about getting temporary registration/buying an out of state car?

This weekend I may be driving to NY from NJ to buy a car, only thing is I pretty much have to drive it back and the seller doesn't have it registered because he bought a new car. I'm also wondering if the DMV's are even open in NY on saturdays...

I'm going with two other friends who are driving me there and all three of us work mon-fri so the weekend is the only time I can go.

What's the process to legally drive a car bought out of state and legally driving it back into NJ?

Look up the DMV rules for both states. Most will have a temporary movement permit that you can get just for something like this.

Got a buddy with a pick up? Rent a tow dolly.

Not legal at all but when I sold my Civic to a member in MA he brought the plate from his old civic and slapped it on to drive home.

The legal way is to INSURE the car in the STATE of TEMP REG (ie, the sellers state), as that local DMV is the one that is going to want to see it's own states ins policy. And who knows how far away the seller is from a DMV.

Towing it on a dolly (any wheels on the ground) is only legal when the vehicle is registered/insured, so you might as well just drive it as the fine/offense is the same.

It's unfortunate that they make it so damn hard to do it legally.

Usually just driving slow and having a buddy follow you, and throw your current plate on it and hope for the best is your best bet.

Your ARE covered by your insurance for 48 hours after buying a new car without actually even insuring it-- at least my company is (i bought my car on a sat when the ins office was closed, and the legit dealer said it's no big deal, and to just call monday because of this rule). your state/co may vary.

NY does not offer temp registrations, maybe you can get one from NJ
i always put insurance on a car before i go to look at it, if the deal doesn't work you call the insurance and tell them it fell through and there should be no charge
its always nice to be covered in case you end up getting in an accident or hurting someone else
but that all depends on if you have anything to lose

driving with no plate would be better than driving with a swapped plate, IF YOU GET CAUGHT.
if you're swapping the plate get the insurance, one less charge against you and in case you hurt someone you won't have a judgement against you for the rest of your life

and no, none of the dmv's in my area are open saturdays

Last edited:
that is true-- no plate is less offense than misuse of plates.

but without a plate on, you are more liekly to be picked out of a speed trap for no thaving a plate.

call the NJ DMV and ask them if they have a temp transport plate for just this type of reason

useful information, and i wasn't wrong about the temp registration, but they have something else that will help you
notice the requirement for insurance
In-transit Permit (Temporary Registration)

Can I get a temporary registration to move a vehicle within NYS or to another state?

The NYSDMV does not issue temporary registrations. The DMV issues an in-transit permit (MV-639ITP) that you can use to move a vehicle from one location in NYS to another location to register it. An in-transit permit is a paper permit that you display in the rear window of the vehicle.
The DMV issues an in-transit permit only for a vehicle that you recently purchased or received. You cannot use an in-transit permit to replace a current registration, a registration that expired within the last year, or to extend a registration. Use the current registration or renew the registration if it expired within the last year.
You cannot renew an in-transit permit. You cannot get a second in-transit permit if the first in-transit permit for your vehicle expires.
There are two types of in-transit permit:

• Intrastate In-Transit Permit -- The permit is valid for 30 days and allows you to transport a vehicle from one location in NYS to another location in NYS. For example, you need an intrastate in-transit permit if you buy a vehicle from a seller in another part of NYS and you need to transport the vehicle to your home before you register it. The fee is $12.50.
  • Interstate In-Transit Permit -- The permit is valid for 30 days and allows you to transport a vehicle from New York State to another jurisdiction to register it. For example, you need an interstate in-transit permit if you buy a vehicle in NYS, but you reside in another state or you move to another state, and you plan to register the vehicle in the other state. The fee is $12.50.
To apply for an intrastate or interstate in-transit vehicle permit you must provide:
Proof of insurance. Normally, you must show a NYS Insurance ID Card as proof of insurance. If you use a form FS-75, FS-76 or FS-77 Insurance ID Card, you must show it to DMV within 7 days after it was prepared. This type of insurance ID card must have "in-transit" or "in-transit permit" printed or written on it, and you must provide an In-transit Cancellation Authorization form (this is not a DMV form) from the insurance agent or broker who prepared the card.

to see full details, info starts about 3/4 of the way down the page
pay attention to all the requirments cause NYS dmv does not fuck around
you either have it all, or you walk away with nothing but hassles and a headache
NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title

Thanks for the responses. I did a lot of research and found the in transit permit but I don't think I can get one without the title and I wouldnt be getting it until the day dmv's are closed.

What I have found in a few places/forums is a lot of people (briefly mentioned here) will drive to get the car, have temporary insurance and have the seller write, sign and date a bill of sale. The buyer also signs and dates bill of sale and while driving home if you should get pulled over and show the cop that you literally just bought the car bc of the bill or sale and even insured it. I read and also believe most cops will let this go as seeing it would be difficult to have it registered the same day you bought it, especially out of state.

This is what I plan on doing this saturday so I hope I can make the 4 hour drive and have the car home.

Good luck. Some cops might let you go, but watch out for the ones that won't.

Ive always just driven the car.. tho ive always bought in-state.. its 3hrs away sometimes

I read and also believe most cops will let this go as seeing it would be difficult to have it registered the same day you bought it, especially out of state.
unfortunately its not the officer's job to give a flying fuck when you bought the car
people are expected to follow the normal rules, if you can't transport it when you buy it you go and get it registered and get legit plates and come back for it
i wish you the best of luck but don't expect any cop in NY to just let you keep driving an unregistered car, if you go and have an accident somewhere down the road that shit will come back to them, your car is going to the impound on a roll back.

With insurance, that liability is greatly reduced.

Just drive slow, 2 mph over limit tops and have a car behind you the whole time and you shouldn't have issues. 99% chance you'll make it home with out getting nabbed.... assuming you're not buying a riced out POS that attracts cops.

I've bought cars and motorcycles and gotten them home with no plate with no issues. The longest trip was from Martinsburg, WV to Baltimore. I've moved probably 5 vehicles this way, two motorcycles and three or so cars.

I was pulled over as I crossed the border into MD (in a civic of all things...) and the trooper was slightly relieved and confused about why I'd insure it if I wasn't running a plate at all. I showed him that I had a bill of sale and he sent me on my way. He did give me a number to call the next time to get a temp trip permit for MD.

Moral: Always have insurance and a bill of sale. Trip permit is best.

EDIT:
Wait. I just saw where you live. There's no way in hell I'd give the NJSP GESTAPO pull me over for ANYTHING in a car I hadn't personally disassembled to check for anything suspicious. Get a trip permit, hopefully get some temp tags too. Don't think for a second you'll be able to drive without tags in Ocean County.

Last edited:
Back