The rust has started!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Its actually on my Nissan, but the spot on the car thats rusting happens to every Honda I have ever seen anyway. It on the upper part of one of the rear wheel arches. The only good thing is that its in a part thats hard to see. There are two peices of metal that overlap to make the arch, the one on the inside of the arch is bubbling out, and the other painted one is starting to rust through.
What do you guys think, sand it down, rust converter, paint? What about the area between the two metals that is hard to get to?

ok...first......grind all the paint and bubbling off with a grinder (air or electric ur choice) then see how bad it is....if it is rotted cut it out with a grinder and make a new peice with metal.....then shape it to what u need....weld it in nice and strong.....grind your welds.....bondo it up and shape it to the stock contour of teh car....if it can be grinded down and there is no rust out.....i would simply lay a thin coat of glazing putty down and shape it...then primer and paint

I don't have access to a welder, I can't paint because I live in an apt now, so cutting is out of the question. Was thinking grinding and using rust converter, but didn't know how well it worked.

Rust converter is crap, and a total waste of money.

If its just surface rust hit it with a sand-blaster, glazing putty, and paint. Even if you have to use a rattle can to paint that spot, some paint is needed to lock out moisture. When you get the $$ or resources to fix it right, you can just sand it and re-paint later. I'd bet you could talk a body shop into blasting it for you for a few bucks if you dont have access to a blaster.

If its eating through the pannel, you need to chop it out and fix it right. There is no "quick fix" to that. Trust me, I've used the "rust converter" and fiberglass mat, fiberglass filler, regular filler, "high performance filler" even back filled it with expanding foam then re-glassed. Everything went to hell in 6 months or less, then I fixed it right and it never came back. (on a crx)

the quick fix get some steel wool sand the spot clean (the rust will come off faster then the paint, get some touch up paint and hit the spot good, Should kill the rust for 6 mounths or so.
If you plane on cuting and patching use a flap wheel not a grinder to remove the paint, ( A GRINDER MAKE THE METAL TO THIN TO WELD TOO).
Shape the patch panel before you cut anything then weld and clean the welds and all you should need is some highbuild and paint

Ahh, thanks. What about the area in between the two peices of metal? Two peices of metal form the arch. Could I just cut off the top peice to get to the exposed part in the wheel arch? You can't see it anyway. Then sand and touch it up?

Back