thinkin of switchin to linux

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i dont seem to have any problems with ubuntu 7.10 and flash :shrug2:

I dont have the crashing issue, i just have DOM issues.

well, back to windoze. I moved and now go to the net via wireless. I just cant seem to get it to work right in ubuntu. Its very dodgy even before running a bittorrent client. When i try to run a torrent the connection gets worst. Reinstalled windows and everything seems to be going smoothly, especially the wireless connection, which just works flawlessly even while im running multiple torrents.

still have it set up dual boot. Perhaps when a new version of ubuntu comes out i will give it another go.

yeah, wireless is dodgy with most adapters until you use ndiswrapper. and that is a lot of reading for someone who has never worked with it before. (NDIS allows you to use windows network drivers on a linux system).

I must say I am very impressed with the Kubuntu 7.10 , everything wireless and all worked right out of the box.

same with ubuntu for me. this laptop uses the broadcom chipset and ubuntu 7.10 picked it up and worked right out of the box.

a lot of the pci network cards for desktops need ndis though.

So, I have a slight install problem.

I installed Ubuntu once for my computer - onto an external harddrive. I know, I know. But I just wanted to see if the damn thing worked (linux and the computer).

Now I have a 20gig that passed my bios's HD check, but everytime I get to the install screen and move the "cursor" to select a command and hit enter the CD drive commences to spin and spin and spin and nothing happens. Any option like: Mem test, start in safe graphics mode, etc. They all cause the install to lock and the CD drive to spin forever with no signs of life. I can then press a bunch of keys till it beeps and/or ctrl-alt-del the bitch to restart.

The external is not hooked up, just a monitor/keyboard/power cord.

As I've been typing this - it happened to another computer of mine.

I'll try to get the Alternate Install Disk and try 'em both again.

yeah, wireless is dodgy with most adapters until you use ndiswrapper. and that is a lot of reading for someone who has never worked with it before. (NDIS allows you to use windows network drivers on a linux system).

Its a USB stick. Messed around with ndiswrapper but had beter results with the native drivers. The card is recognized just fine, its the connection that is all out of whack. Regardless i have already set up windoze to my liking so i will run it until I am feeling adventurous..

So, I have a slight install problem.

I installed Ubuntu once for my computer - onto an external harddrive. I know, I know. But I just wanted to see if the damn thing worked (linux and the computer).

Now I have a 20gig that passed my bios's HD check, but everytime I get to the install screen and move the "cursor" to select a command and hit enter the CD drive commences to spin and spin and spin and nothing happens. Any option like: Mem test, start in safe graphics mode, etc. They all cause the install to lock and the CD drive to spin forever with no signs of life. I can then press a bunch of keys till it beeps and/or ctrl-alt-del the bitch to restart.

The external is not hooked up, just a monitor/keyboard/power cord.

As I've been typing this - it happened to another computer of mine.

I'll try to get the Alternate Install Disk and try 'em both again.

All i can think of is a bad burn. Ive never had that issue, ever.

My suggestion is install Windows 3.1. :) I just got a copy of the install disks from a friend to toy with.

you might have had a corrupt iso then..that would be the only thing that would cause the same error twice.

I prefer the alt installs myself...does everything i need to...unless i need rsync GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for not having rsync on the alt discs.

right, but im trying to rsync an entire server to a new server by booting up with the live cd, mounting the current drive, and syncing all the files over. No rsync on the alt disk means i have to wait for x to start and im impatient.

Back