Those with laptops.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I was just wondering what those of you with laptops do when you want to go away from your computer for a while. For instance, when I go to bed I usually shut my laptop off, wake up and go to classes, and return to turn it back on. Is this necessary? Can I just leave it sit looged off of windows with the sceen-saver running? I am on a LAN ethernet connection at a university if it makes a difference.
Also, my computer wont let me put it into "stand by" mode.
Thanks in advance.

You assume that I am away from my laptop for any period of time longer than an hour :) If I have to leave it for any reason, large compiles or a date with the g/f, I just close the lid and turn it upside down. Other than that, my laptop goes where I go at all times.

My desktop never gets turned off unless I am swapping hardware.

i leave mine on 24-7. and i set it up so that when i close the lid it doesnt go into standby cause it cuts my internet connection when it does. of course its always plugged in too.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 13 2005, 10:46 AM
That's the big thing right there is keeping it cool while it sits there.
[post=553669]Quoted post[/post]​

That's why I turn it upside down. Gives the cooling fans all the room they need. Or I'll throttle the CPU back if it's not doing anything.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 13 2005, 04:57 PM
Why not justpower it off ?
[post=553872]Quoted post[/post]​

Because unless I am taking it somewhere in its bag, I'm using it.

I am getting pretty frustrated. I cant put my computer in stand by mode. I tried going to start, control panel, and power options and did pretty much every option from there. I tried everything I can think of. I even searched on dell's site for an answer. I dont want to shut down my computer and turn it back on everytime i want to stop using/use it, but i cant put it into stand by mode. My computer is a dell 5150 laptop with windows XP pro for reference. If someone has an idea, i will try it.
Thanks.
*EDIT* I fixed the problem by downloading the newest version of audio and video drivers from dell's site.

go to power options, and set up the labtop as never turning off the harddisk. Then for the monitor, just set it up to where it will turn off in a minute if noone touches it. i have my labtop right next to my bed with active cable internet, so im always downloading things. just set it up like thatand let it idle while you sleep. i havent turned off my labtop like in 1 month. i do it occasionally just to shut it down. but other than that im always doin stuff on it.

Back