throttle position sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wheresmyhat

Hey guys and gals,

Working on a 89 teg. Same surging idle as everyone else. Think I got it pegged to the tps. When I disconect the harness the idle go normal car runs great. Question is can this just be left unconnected :mellow: . As much as i read it can affect emmisions and such like but who cares until you smog it right. Let me know. Since you can not buy this sensor separate from the tb I don't want to spend the money. Plus its not mine ;) . A little black tape over the check engine light never hurt anything right. BTW was not throwing any codes originaly. Thanks

disconnecting the tps with throw the car into "limp" mode i guess you could say...i wouldn't recommend leaving it like that...might eventually cause more problems than its worth...find one at a junk yard

I Say Check Your Idle Air Control Valve If Its Equppied With One. My 91 Da Had The Same Problem And I Found That It Was The Iac Valve. Hope This Helps, Good Luck....

well if he disconnects the tps and the problems fixes itself, you know its the tps. without the tps you are really hurting throttle repsonse and fuel maps. leaving it unplugged is NOT a good idea. buy the sensor (off ebay if you can find it) and fix the problem.

Whatever you do, dont drive it hard with the tps unplugged, you will cause more harm than good.

mine did same but i adjusted the ficv and the iacv and still does it for a few mins then goes back to low rpm, but once i had a tps code 7 so im going to adjust my tps sensor this week, just hook up a volt meter positive to the middle wire neg to ground and turn key to on, the voltage should be like0.45-0.50 volts closed and 4.5 volts wide open throttle, if its out of sepc cut slots in the stock screws and hile hooked up to volt meter move sensor till vots are right then tighten screws and then your tps is right.

Back