Time for new struts?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redneck999

I have been driving the del sol for a few months now and had assumed that the rough ride was normal for small chassis car, no bounce or bottom out just rough, this weekend loaded the trunk with 3 bags of mulch and lo and behold it rode unbelieveably smooth! Is this an indication that new struts are in order or is this the nature of the beast?

If you're used to driving bigger cars that have a more standard passenger car suspension as opposed to the the double wishbone, spring-over-shock design that small Honda cars typically have, then yes, it will probably feel somewhat rough to you. I don't think you necessarily need new shocks, but if they've never been replaced it wouldn't hurt...

Yeah I normally drive a lifted Explorer, before the del sol I was driving a neon back and forth to work for the gas for 3 years. The sol has 176,000 miles and they appear to be original no rust or leaking, just noticed a somewhat dramatic difference in the ride.

Back