time to reformat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

it needs the discs. i know for fact. system restore just asks for discs for the older machines.

• Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You'll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows.)
  • Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don't test the RC on your primary home or business PC.
eh.. i'll pass... if i could install it and leave it be.. then sure.. but looks like a year from now i'll have to do it all over..

I've got a few OSes if you want. Win 3.1, Win 98, Win ME, Win XP media, Win XP Pro, Win XP Pro 64-bit, Win Vista Home and Win Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

hate to admit it but with the way windows it setup (registeries and such), i recommend a fresh install once a year or at the very least once every two years. i recommend setting it up the way you want it and then make an image of it so everytime you reinstall itll be much faster than reistanlling everything and doing all the drivers again.

if you dont want to do that, just stick with vista SP1. i think its a great OS but just a resource hog if your dell is older like pre dual core and less than 2GB of ram. but thats to expected when a new OS is out. and SP2 is approaching so hopefully that would make it even better.

eh.. i'll pass... if i could install it and leave it be.. then sure.. but looks like a year from now i'll have to do it all over..

Nah man somebody will figure out a way to keep the RC from expiring. Download it - its FREE. Then, if your wallet becomes concerned with legitimacy, buy win7 when it comes out for $50.

If it were a normal PC, you'd be in better shape, but with a Dell, you'll spend hours tracking down all the Dell-specific drivers. After spending hours on the phone with tech support, you'll develop a racist prejudice and wish the complete obliteration of India.

Klyph you'd be an amazing real-estate agent.

I've got a few OSes if you want. Win 3.1, Win 98, Win ME, Win XP media, Win XP Pro, Win XP Pro 64-bit, Win Vista Home and Win Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

hmmm... Win XP media sounds good.... w/ that i shouldnt have any trouble streaming to the xbox either

Back