Timing Belt & H20 Pump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
I've only done timing chains on Chevy and Ford V8 in the past.
So is this a job I should tackle myself or pay a shop to do it?

The CRX just turned 90,000 and it's time for some preventative maintenance. I figure while I'm at it I should do the water pump at the same time. Is it possible to do this maintenance at home in the driveway with your basic hand tools or are there some specialized tools needed to change the timing belt and water pump ??

I got a rough quote of $500 to do the timing belt, water pump and adjust valve lash, as I've never owned a car that has needed this type of service before I don't know if the price for this job is high / low etc....

Thanks in advance

with a shop manual, i'm sure you'd feel confident doing this yourself. without it I wouldn't recomend it though. the CRX timing can be odd to set, a lot of people set it one tooth off. when you get your manual and read it, while looking at the cam gear, you'll see why. other than that, it's an easy r+r job, basic hand tools are all that's needed as long as you can get your crank pulley off. the only specialized tool you'll need are feeler gauges for the valve lash, you dont need the jam nut adjusting tool that's used on some honda motors, on the D you can get at the nuts with a 10mm box end wrench and a flathead screwdriver.

Last edited:
its easy for the belt and pump it only takes about an hour or so ive done about a dozen of them so it might take abit longer but its no prob

Back