1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Belt on Accord V6 J30A1

Discussion in 'Accord' started by f22b1 coupe, Jan 6, 2009.

1. f22b1 coupe

f22b1 coupe Junior Member

I have done around a dozen timing belts on single cam 4 cylinder Hondas- Civics and Accords entirely actually. Everything from 92-2002, I've done the labor for $200 while I'm on break for school which saves people the shop rate and I make pretty good money. But now more and more people are asking if I'll do their V6, and I have no idea what all is involved. I can't find pictures or write ups online anywhere. Auto Zone's site makes it sound like there is a whole lot to it compared to the 4 cylinders.
    My question for anyone who has done it is this- is it a straightforward job that is just like doing a 4 cylinder engine plus an extra cam to weave the belt over? Or does it require a myriad of special tools and a manual to help you retime the engine once the new belt is on? My gf's dad wants his done soon but obviously that is the last person on earth's car I want to fuck up.

2. f22b1 coupe

f22b1 coupe Junior Member

DIY Timing Belt - AcuraZine Community

I happened to find this after a light bulb came on while typing that thread. I finally found something that was almost exactly what I need. It's for the J32 instead of J30, which is in the TL, but whatever. He covers it decently, and it seems all that encoding nonsense on auto zone's site is unnecessary/optional. Now my only question is this: Is that tensioner hydraulic/automatic, or will I have to manually set the tension like the damn f22's? His writeup was vague on the tensioner and setting it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted