Timing Belt Slipping Off Gears...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlowRider

Hello. I got my Swap running. I ave only started it for a few minutes as there is still some stuff that needs finishing. But when I started it I noticed that the Timing belt slipps off the Cam gears. I push it on and when I start the car it Slides over the side just alittle..Not very much at all. If you put 2 quarters side by side it would be that width. On Edge. Is this normal? The cam gears are AEM adjustables and the belt is brand new..

The belt does not come off all the way.....Just hangs alittle over the side.

no thats not normal and veri dangorus think if i came off what would happen. snap crackel pop goes the motor you just put in very very very bad. your gonna have to retention it (titen it up a bit) your gonaa have to pull off all the belts then the crank pully then the cover then gonna have to put it to top dead center then loosen the tensioner that titens up the belt spin the motor over a couple of times and make the belt sit right. then tighten back up and put every thing back on,(GET A HAYNES MANUAL FROM YOUR LOCAL AUTOZONE OR PARTS STORE) it will help alot but get it for the motor you put in not the car do all that and your good also be a good time to check your timing.

ya boy steveo

Compare the thickness of your OEM ones against the AEMs, they maybe a hair more narrow.

The belt is very tight.. So I dont think that , that is the problem. I will check the pully thicknesses.

Ok. So I went down into the basement where all my spare parts are. And guess what I found. The Big washer that goes on it to hold the belt in its position...POOOOOOP :( That Stinks.

yep that would be a problem the belts not seating like it should.

ya boy steveo

another little thing i learned from my trusty master certified honda friend i have is to tighten the tensioner - turn the bolt back a half turn - turn the motor over about 6 times - then tighten the tensioner again - supposedly there is no set tension the belt should be... make sure to turn it over another 6-10 times after getting it tight and then check and see how tight the belt is - too tight and you're gonna break it quick - too loose and you're gonna throw it off eventually - very difficult to explain how tight is perfect

Back