Tire Recommendations Please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Ok. I've had Kumho 712's on my CRX for a very long time, other than being directional I really haven't had anything bad to report about them. I know a few people really hate them but hey to each his own. Well I'm in desperate need of tires, I've been looking around for something unidirectional to make tire rotation a bit easier.
and prolong tread life. as I have a slightly agresive negative camber. Mostly city highway driving, I'd love to get back to auto-x but having a 1yr old at home makes it tough to get there these days.

so here's my roundup so far. I'm looking at 195/50 or 205/50 15's
I've got a very small budget to work with. trying to stay at or under $62 a tire.

Kumho ECSTA SPT 320 AA/A
Kumho ECSTA ASX 420 AA/A
Yokohama AVS ES100 280 AA/A (can anyone verify this is a unidirectional tire)
Falken Ziex ZE-512 360 A/A

I'm open to other suggestions but I've had to weed out a lot of tires due to the desire for unidirectional tread

Bf Goodrich TA's are $66 for 195/50/15 @ TireRack.com.com. Directionals.

Bf goodrich g-force sports are $71 each for 205/50/15. These are directionals though.

Kuhmo Ecsta MX are $74 for 205/50/15 @ TireRack.com. Personally, I'd spring for more and get the MX's because they're true and proven.

I wouldn't buy the Ziex's unless you're looking for an all season, with all season performance. Granted its not that much worse performance than the slowest of ultra performance summer tires, but they were still like a second slower on a short course than the slowest ultra. With that said, if you're getting a summer only tire - the ziex isn't for you.

Now, here's two ringers.

Hankook Ventus Sport K104 are $63/tire at www.edgeracing.com but I think they may be directionals. They should compete with the Kuhmo MX's though and they're 195/50/15 so they're a bit cheaper.

There's others like the Hankook Ventus Rs2 Z212's that compete with the MX's well. (I was going to buy a set for my WRX because they were one of the few that had the dimension tire I wanted, but I already have brand new rubber that was free so until someone wants my tires I can't justify picking them up.)

$64/tire

Bill has the SPT's on the bimmer. While there is a drastic difference between the mx's he had on there, they still hold the road pretty dang good.

hell...ive had a set of nankangs on my accord for a lil over a year now and they are still great

you've autox'ed once with us :mrgreen: get the better daily tire. it's what you use the car for 99.99234234% of the time.

The ES100s are a directional tire. I have them and I enjoy them myself. Good grip, and even though they're rated high for wear, I've had them for a year and still have excellent tread on all four with a rotation at 6 months on.

I hear that they're good tire on near stock cars, but if you're boosting you're going to want something stickier.

Well I bought the Kumho SPT in 195/50/15 for my car
and Yokohama AVID TRZ in 205/60/15 for my wifes care

thanks for the input

well I put the SPT's on the crx today, and as it turns out they are in fact directional. Seems like any descent UHP rated tire is directional these days so
when I change my oil I'll have to add in tire rotation to get longer life, guess that's the price we pay for good traction, I'm going to see if they offer a frequent tire rotation card, drove on em all of a few miles so far, and they feel good so far.

update, well I've been taking some pretty good spirited rides lately with these new tires and I'll admit man the ecsta 712's suck. just by looking at the tire compound itself you can see a really noticable difference. These tires grip really good. I'm rather impressed with the grip hitting a corner really hard. If you're looking for an inexpensive tire that can be used for aggresive driving and the ocassional auto-x the Kumho ecsta SPT is a really nice compromise.

I like my BFG G-force sports, ~13k so far and no signs of poor wear, and they grip pretty well. I was considering the SPT's, but went with BFG's to save a little money, and because I like the way the bfg's look more too. Good luck with the SPT's tell us how they wear.

Dennis, I think you were looking for "omnidirectional" and not "unidirectional." :)

Ya man ... the SPTs are a great little tire. I have them on my Type R for the time being because the hit of buying the car left me with no cash left over for the tires I wanted (Eagle F1 GS-D3s ... which I had on my hatch and are the best street tires out there IMO).

But the SPTs have been able to handle everything the Type R could throw at them. Very impressed so far .... the only thing I don't like about them is that they're a very chunky tire .... meaning that when I clean them and put tire shine on, half of it ends up on my door panel unlike the AVS ES100's that were on the car when I bought the R. Oh well.

So ya .... great tire with impressive grip for the price. Nowhere close to the class leaders like the GS-D3s or the Azenis, but you do get what you pay for.

Calesta said:
Dennis, I think you were looking for "omnidirectional" and not "unidirectional." :)
yeah I typed unidirectionsl when I meant bidirectional

I'll add that after some spirited driving these tires grip great.
very noticable differnece over the 712's, also with all the rain we've been having, they do hold up quite well. No hydroplaning etc... I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Last edited:
Back