Tires

what should I go for?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

So as the poll says....

205/40/16
or
205/45/16

What are some advantages/disadvantages of going with a lower profile? Keep in mind I dont care about ride quality. This poll is based on a performance perspective only.

These will mostly be for street, but also a few lapping days.

R

205/50/16 is what i would say to go with....they are said to be the best series tire for handling....there is no real advantage of going with a lower profile all u do is reduce sidewall flex and thus reduces your handling and grip.

Originally posted by driver1@Apr 9 2005, 10:21 PM
205/50/16 is what i would say to go with....they are said to be the best series tire for handling....there is no real advantage of going with a lower profile all u do is reduce sidewall flex and thus reduces your handling and grip.
[post=485234]Quoted post[/post]​

The reason I'm asking is because the tires I have on my 16's right now (not on my car at the moment) are 205/55/ZR16 and they rub all over the place.....really bad. So would you say that the 45's are a better choice than the 40's? I just dont want to run the chance of rubbing again, so I'd rather be safe than sorry, you know?

Assuming this is for your 93 EG DX hatch with swap and not your RSX-S or Accord...

I look at it in terms of trying to be as close to the correct tire diameter for your transmission as possible. Your car came stock with 575mm tall tires, and the SiR2 transmission wants to see 595mm tall tires. The 205/55/15 is WAY too tall- that's why you're rubbing. You're also making your gearing taller by using a taller tire, and that hurts acceleration.

205/50 is still too tall. 205/45 matches your SiR2 transmission the best, and 205/40 matches your original DX transmission the best. I'd go with the 205/45 for the bigger contact patch and matched gearing, but the 205/40 will give snappier handling and faster gearing. The 205/40 will also have the lowest chance of rubbing too.

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 10 2005, 02:39 PM
Assuming this is for your 93 EG DX hatch with swap and not your RSX-S or Accord...

I look at it in terms of trying to be as close to the correct tire diameter for your transmission as possible. Your car came stock with 575mm tall tires, and the SiR2 transmission wants to see 595mm tall tires. The 205/55/15 is WAY too tall- that's why you're rubbing. You're also making your gearing taller by using a taller tire, and that hurts acceleration.

205/50 is still too tall. 205/45 matches your SiR2 transmission the best, and 205/40 matches your original DX transmission the best. I'd go with the 205/45 for the bigger contact patch and matched gearing, but the 205/40 will give snappier handling and faster gearing. The 205/40 will also have the lowest chance of rubbing too.
[post=485382]Quoted post[/post]​

Great info Calesta. And yes, this is for the EG (The RSX already has sick rims and tires from the factory, and the Accord I'm not touching). Right now I have the stock 13s with the 175/75/13. Gearing is REALLY short, which I sorta like to tell you the truth (mind you at 120Km I'm at 4000RPMs). So in all honesty, I'm sorta leaning towards the 205/40's.....but the matched gearing is something I might want to try...? I have some thinking to do.

:thumbsup:

Just make yourself a little spreadsheet that compares your aftermarket tire size with the "stock" tire size that the transmission wants to see. Do a little simple division and you can have Excel tell you how much each tire size will affect your gearing too. It's easy.

205/45/16 for sure. 40 is too tiny.

a 40 is good for a wider tire, like a 235/245 or something. remember, the 40/45 is the aspect ratio, or percentage of the width. a 205/50/15 and a 225/45/17 are roughly the same sidewall height, but the overall height/diameter of the 17 will be taller

I can get a great deal on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's ... sized 195/45/ZR16. What about these? There are also the 205/45/16 available from Goodyear, but no 205/40.

you can gather 500 people to review stuff, and if its the first tire they used over the stock shit.. its 10 10 10 10 10 y0! OMG! t3h STICK!

you can't take the ratings for anymore than user opinion-- but how well educated ARE the users?

Furthermore, a quicj glane through the first couple comments...

let's take a look at this one...

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
Driving Style: Spirited
Miles driven on tires: 18,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.25 out of 10
Review Submitted: 2005-04-08

These tires are pretty good in terms of straight-line traction, and in the rain, when properly inflated, they are terriffic. The only issue I see is a very soft sidewall, which leads to the tire rolling under heavy cornering loads. However, for everyday use, and "mildly" spirited driving, they are fine. Plus, the tread looks good and keeps road noise low.

home boy rates it an 8.5

then, says that its hardly a performance tire, has a soft side wall, but W@OOHOO! its good in the rain.

if you want rain tires, buy rain tires.
if you want sumemr tires that grip, buy summer tires that grip.

from his comments, it sounds like hes rating it abotu average, wouldn't you say? average on a scale of 1-10 = 5. suddenly, an 8.5 comes out of his ass.

and then we have this ass clown, whos comparing them to a drag raidal???

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Miles driven on tires: 1,000

Reviewer's Overall Rating:
Driving Condition:
Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Average

Ive only had these tires for 1000 miles and all can say is wow. These tires grip like no other. My car feels so much stronger out of the whole now. My previous tires I would hook to about 3500rpms and spin to the redline in 1st. I dont have that problem anymore. Im hooking all the way to the redline. These tires are very quiet at speed and in the rain they really shine. Yes pricey but definetly worth it IMO. If your looking for a good griping tire and dont want Drag Radials. I definetly recommend these. Plus they just look mean. Also the tires run a little wide so keep that in mind. -- Review Submitted 2005-04-02

a 9.4 rating, because suddenly he can't bake 1st gear anymore???

and while that may seem great-- soft tires = launch hard, but your turn in sucks.

this one is the best though... lol

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T Sedan
Miles driven on tires: 12,000

Driving Condition:
Combined Highway/City

I drive a Stage 3+ jetta now if these tires could handel that then there good enof 4 most cars under 450whp. (and that is most) -- Review Submitted 2005-03-29

OMG! it can handel it y0! yeah? it what way? ass clown can't even figure out the difference between there and they're nor how to spell enough.

are you going to take his l33t driving skill and review??

i'm getting bored of that... but if you go through, most of them rave about the rain.

do you live in seattle or something? lol

i guess my point here is, to take those ratings with a grain of salt. you need to use your best judgement, and talk to people who drive like who and drive CARS like you. those vettes and cramaro's will respond to a tire in ways a honda would never.

i'll tell you this much- you won't find a single set of those on any cars where i autoX.

what you will find a lot of (street tire wise) are MX's, S03's, Azenis, RE010's, an es100's when chris shows up :p

furthermore, a 195/45 is freakin tiny. i had 195/50/15's on my 240 for drift tires in kumhoe 711's, and the tore store i go to who has great machines had a heck of a time putting them on. they are really really small. it doesn't seem like much, but a 205/45 vs a 195/45 is night and day in terms of the stretch effects it puts on the tire.

Originally posted by adnoh@Apr 10 2005, 05:28 PM
Great info Calesta. And yes, this is for the EG (The RSX already has sick rims and tires from the factory, and the Accord I'm not touching). Right now I have the stock 13s with the 175/75/13. Gearing is REALLY short, which I sorta like to tell you the truth (mind you at 120Km I'm at 4000RPMs). So in all honesty, I'm sorta leaning towards the 205/40's.....but the matched gearing is something I might want to try...? I have some thinking to do.
[post=485423]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, if it seals the deal . . .

I run 205/45/16 BFG g-force sports on my car (SiRII tranny, B16A).

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 11 2005, 10:46 PM
you can gather 500 people to review stuff, and if its the first tire they used over the stock shit.. its 10 10 10 10 10 y0! OMG! t3h STICK!

you can't take the ratings for anymore than user opinion-- but how well educated ARE the users?

Furthermore, a quicj glane through the first couple comments...

let's take a look at this one...

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
Miles driven on tires: 18,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.25 out of 10
Review Submitted: 2005-04-08

These tires are pretty good in terms of straight-line traction, and in the rain, when properly inflated, they are terriffic. The only issue I see is a very soft sidewall, which leads to the tire rolling under heavy cornering loads. However, for everyday use, and "mildly" spirited driving, they are fine. Plus, the tread looks good and keeps road noise low.

home boy rates it an 8.5

then, says that its hardly a performance tire, has a soft side wall, but W@OOHOO! its good in the rain.

if you want rain tires, buy rain tires.
if you want sumemr tires that grip, buy summer tires that grip.

from his comments, it sounds like hes rating it abotu average, wouldn't you say? average on a scale of 1-10 = 5. suddenly, an 8.5 comes out of his ass.

and then we have this ass clown, whos comparing them to a drag raidal???

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Miles driven on tires: 1,000

Driving Condition:
Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Average

Ive only had these tires for 1000 miles and all can say is wow. These tires grip like no other. My car feels so much stronger out of the whole now. My previous tires I would hook to about 3500rpms and spin to the redline in 1st. I dont have that problem anymore. Im hooking all the way to the redline. These tires are very quiet at speed and in the rain they really shine. Yes pricey but definetly worth it IMO. If your looking for a good griping tire and dont want Drag Radials. I definetly recommend these. Plus they just look mean. Also the tires run a little wide so keep that in mind. -- Review Submitted 2005-04-02

a 9.4 rating, because suddenly he can't bake 1st gear anymore???

and while that may seem great-- soft tires = launch hard, but your turn in sucks.

this one is the best though... lol

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T Sedan
Miles driven on tires: 12,000

Driving Condition:
Combined Highway/City

I drive a Stage 3+ jetta now if these tires could handel that then there good enof 4 most cars under 450whp. (and that is most) -- Review Submitted 2005-03-29

OMG! it can handel it y0! yeah? it what way? ass clown can't even figure out the difference between there and they're nor how to spell enough.

are you going to take his l33t driving skill and review??

i'm getting bored of that... but if you go through, most of them rave about the rain.

do you live in seattle or something? lol

i guess my point here is, to take those ratings with a grain of salt. you need to use your best judgement, and talk to people who drive like who and drive CARS like you. those vettes and cramaro's will respond to a tire in ways a honda would never.

i'll tell you this much- you won't find a single set of those on any cars where i autoX.

what you will find a lot of (street tire wise) are MX's, S03's, Azenis, RE010's, an es100's when chris shows up :p

furthermore, a 195/45 is freakin tiny. i had 195/50/15's on my 240 for drift tires in kumhoe 711's, and the tore store i go to who has great machines had a heck of a time putting them on. they are really really small. it doesn't seem like much, but a 205/45 vs a 195/45 is night and day in terms of the stretch effects it puts on the tire.
[post=485953]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, thanks for the input Brian....I'll definately take it into consideration.

After checking out the specs of a 195/45 and a 205/45, I found the only real diffrences to be that the 205 is 0.4" wider and 0.55" more in diameter. Would a 205/40 be closer to the size of a 195/45? I'm still not getting this "ratio" yet.....the way people have explained it, a 205/40 would be roughly the same size as a 195/45. I know this is wrong, but why do you call a 195/45 so tiny compared to a 205/45?

If you or anyone else could clear this up, it would be appreciated. The diffrence in price between these sizes is HUGE. Also, the reason I have selected this tire is because my good friends father is the engineered products division manager for Goodyear Canada so he'll help me out a little with the price...but I have to buy Goodyear or Dunlop. My other choice was the FM901....and I think the choice between the F1 and the FM901 is pretty clear.

205 is the width in milimeters
40 is the percentage of that width, which becomes the sidewall height.

so, 40% of 205 = 82mm
45% of 195 = 87.75mm

now, take into consideration... a 205/50
102.5mm

or a 185/60 stock tire, 111mm

those 80 numbers are freakin tiny.

i'd say go with 205/45, you'll have less of a chance of rubbing, plus you'll be matched to your tranny and your speedo. i went with it becuse 40 series are just to small and they ride like crap, plus there are a good size to race in, but if you don't care about that, go for it, good luck.

Back