1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to amp or not to amp

Discussion in 'Car Audio / Security / Electronic Accessories' started by trash man, Nov 28, 2008.

1. trash man

trash man who put the "S" in lisp?

I just picked up some Alpine Type R components for my '93 hatch (no rear speakers). I'm running an Alpine head unit 45x4 max output. I hooked up the driver side first and then just did a quick test to make sure everything was wired right and wow.....talk about some crisp, clear highs! I was very impressed, even with just pushing those with the head unit. I was wondering if it would actually be worth it to hook them up to an amp instead. I figured I could run the Alpine 3 channel 300W and mount it under the passenger seat or something (less wiring to mess with). But would the end justify the means? Just kinda curious on what other people would do.

2. guterz

guterz New Member

I would hook up your amp. Your going to extend the life of your deck by using an amp to run the speakers.

3. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

I would also +1 for the Amp, Just dont fry the speakers haha, also once ya are out there u could get chasie noise threw the wires to ya door speakers from the deck and thats no fun :(

4. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

if you have an amp lying around, it can't hurt.

IMO, the deck is plenty of power to run components that call for 8-40 watts

5. hatukazi

hatukazi ambitious...but rubbish

added bonus to using an amp is the crossover.
    keeps them from stressing over those harmful bass frequencies.

6. neonmike

neonmike Senior Member VIP

also added bonus for the amp is it is cleaner power, you will be able to turn it up louder with less distortion than with the amp inside the headunit.

7. xcbladerunner

xcbladerunner New Member

dude if you think now it sounds good wait till you hook up the amp is just going to make it so much better

8. shorelovr202

shorelovr202 Integra Guy

If you do amp it, make sure you have an eq... if their isn't a decent one built in, buy one... especially with components. Don't amp em unless ur runnin subs.... and don't run subs unless u amp em.

9. honda917

honda917 New Member

amp it u will get such better tunning ability and clearity out of components with an amp u will notice such a difference i did from my car without my subs a set of 6x9 2 ways in the rear and 6.5 components in the front it sounds amazing like i have a 10 in the trunk
    :D

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted