To buy or not to buy, this is the question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

All Show

I am shopping for a Y8 or Z6 to build turbo engine and I have found this one

92-95 sohc vtec D16Z6 - fresh rebuild but has a blown head gasket.

Arias pistons and rings
clevite bearings
fresh Y8 cyl head
spare Z6 cyl head
exhaust manifold
JG cam gear
polished top pan
P28 ecu (circute is fried but fixable and still works, will through in)

This don't include the dizzy, harness or gear box, just the motor. 92-95 sohc vtec D16Z6 - fresh rebuild but has a blown head gasket.
$600 CND

I had some concerns about the engine so I wrote the guy and this is the history on it

I bought a fresh Y8 head with a JG cam and cam gear a few years back, had bad luck with the cam as it went to shit so I just put the Z6 cam back in and kept the Y8 head cause it was fresh. But when doing the HG on the motor again I would get the Z6 head rebuilt, plained and use that as it flows better that the Y8 (there are also timing advance issues with the Y8 head and Z6 cam). With the head milled 0.010 your compression would sit at about 8.5:1 which is good for turbo. The base pan on the motor also has the oil bung in it for a turbo.

The P28 ecu work actually but I noticed inside a single component burnt out, looks fixable. I'll through it in anyway..............There were about 2000kms on motor since rebuild, so yeah she is like new. When I took it apart the motor was very clean inside the block and head.

I ran 10psi for a couple of weeks and 8psi before that. For fuel management I was running the Uberdata with 450cc injectors (injectors still for sale).

Should i be concerned that the head gasket is blown and is there a chance that there is problems with the head as well.

Does the compression of 8:5:1 sound right if the head has been plained?

Is uberdata like hondata?

What about the ecu, he said that there is something burn out in it but it work fine, does that make any sence?

Is there some thing that i am missing here? Should i be concerned with this engine, does it sound like to you guys that this engine worn out and would not be reliable.

Any advise would be great, I don't want to buy some peice of junk that will give me grief all the time. Thanks

i'd pass on it.

the compression is just too damn low. its going to be slow.

plus, blowing a headgasket could sometimes lead to worse thigns

dont buy it until you check it out...like the last post man said blown head gasket could be just the beginning...drain the oil pan and look for flakes of metal and shit..be careful bro..shop around some more

Back