to h22 or not to h22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wizard45

Alright i got a question for ya. Which would be alot better the H22A or the B18C, and what are the + and - on both or if there is a better engine out there?

whats it going into
whats it going to be used for
what are your goals for the car

h22 obviously has more displacement thus creating usually a decent amount of tq over the 18's, but they don't have as much aftermarket support as B series motors do as in terms of cam choice, pistons choices, etc..

They cost cheaper than teh b18c but then again you must buy a mount kit for the motor to fit, they are also heavier "not by much" than over the B series motor.

But, like E said it depends on what your car is goign to be doing, what type of funding you have, etc..

depends on what you want out of the car, i built mine just for the torque (94teg ls jdm h22a) its good for straight line, and in corners though, i've had no oversteering problems whatsoever, the only problem is it accelerates alot faster so you have to start braking earlier. I went with the hasport kit on mine, the mounts are really stiff though take off any lower than like 1500rpms and you'll feel it, but over all i love the swap, and would do it again if i went honda again next

Like everyone said... It depends on what it is going into and what it is going to be used for. Also the H-Series engines wont rev as high as the B18C. Yes the B18's got less torque, but they put out the same HP, plus the wider range of aftermarket support. It is all up to you, what you want to do with it, and your funds!

A final thing to consider is what you can do youself. Once such a large engine is crammed into a small chassis, things like clutches and T-belts are more frusterating. Also, the H swap is going to be more costly due to the extras that are involved with this swap and if you change your direction with the car later and want a B again, things will have to be re-welded.

Back