To swap or not to swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

it should be supa fast when its running balls lean...

why not just use a toggle switch and go real ghetto, or better yet, just two wires that you touch to each other to engage vtec... :ph34r:

Quoted post[/post]]
i think you would be more than happy with a simple MPFI conversion and SI trans...

it makes a world of diffrence and would actually be fun to drive the car...
you don't really need all the extra hassle that a sohc vtec will bring...
start with the MPFI conversion and see how you like it...
you'd have to do it for a swap anyway so try that first...

i've got a shit load of parts, prob have everything you need to do the mpfi swap, you already have a 5 speed?

and just a side question for knowledgeable d series guys

how can you tell if you have an HF or SI/DX trans?

HEAD NOISE. The objective is to get a lower mile motor into the car.

lol, ok dad.

throw a carb on it while you're at it. carbs > efi y0

TBI is basically carbeuration, and yeah - That's the plan. I am happy with the design of DPFI, and I think there is unexplored potential in them.

So you keep ordering your mods from a catalog, mmm kay ?

:p

Quoted post[/post]]
you could fix the problem?

or just get a motor from hmotors

That's kinda the plan - I'm just exploring my options while keeping the 4-speed for now. If I can call up hmotors and get a sohc zc, 5-speed, and computer all in one place that is what I will probably do. That way I can just do the mpfi conversion and not have to worry about an obd conversion too.

Assuming I can source a trans, engine, and ecu all at the same time - what would I use for a clutch?

Same clutch as I recall.

Battlepope answer time:

"There is a forum out there dedicated to swapping motors, complete with cross reference charts and some really good technical info. It can be found at www.hondaswap.com. You should check it out. "

I know. But since I've got a thread going I figure I might as well ask some simple questions. I'm not gonna fucking sit here and ask "omg how do i do teh swap?!1!" without searching and reading quite a bit beforehand.

From what I've seen there's a lot of B-series info but I haven't seen a lot of d-series or zc info. Maybe I'm blind, I dunno.

D-series/ZC swaps are nice and easy in the EF chassis.
The biggest problem people seem to run into is the DGM-MFPI conversion.

Your block + an Si head, ECU, & tranny (don't get an 88 tranny) or you can use your 4 speed for now if you want...don't forget the resistor box

Should run about $200-$250 total if you shop around

get away from the 4 speed ASAP

4 speed to 5 speed plus a simple SI motor swap with MPFI will be economical and fun to drive...

search No0b :p

The 4 speed isn't too bad, the problem is matching up for the next gear. 4th gear actually runs 100 rpm lower at speed than 5th gear in the Si transmission.

Every shift you make makes a 1500 rpm difference. Big deal ? Maybe. Depends on you and your power band.

Also, I'm a fan of the 88 HF transmission.

I say the same thing - the 4-speed is actually pretty nice for me with the way I drive.

So I could just get a clutch for, say, a '91 Si and toss it on?

I'll do some more reading - thanks though. I'd rather hear firsthand than to read about it somewhere that may or may not have actually done it.

With the 4 speed and a distinct power curve, you can only drive the car one way. Shift early, you'll lug the next gear, shift late, and you'll just nose dive the acceleration. that's the major issue. with the close ratio transmissions you can pretty shift whenever and get your power band.

I've figured that out pretty quick given that I've driven the car for about 2 months now. It takes a pretty good feel to know when the car wants to shift.

oh yeah, I forgot .. that's what you have :)

Yeah, the Si trans feels alot peppier because anything you do with it will move you forward. But side to side comparisons, even asking Clayton / Turbomirage I can haul ass with my Civic.

One more thing, at Autocross (While I can't place well for shit in the car) it is nicer bringing 2nd gear up higher. With the Si I would either limit the speed or take time to shift then immediately downshift.

Back