too much oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

illinSI

will havin too much oil in my engine mess anything up? i put like half a quart extra in there.....

You most likely are fine.. You're only talking about a pint.

Now if you added about 3 more qts..

E

None of my hondas burn oil.....

Check the dip stick, if its over the full mark, unscrew the oil drain plug and let that half quart drain out. Just do it with a cold engine and keep a hold of the drain plug.

it didnt burn any oil between the last change and this one which was about 3k miles. i think ill be fine, its drivin normally. i was just worried about pressure.

if u have to much oil in your car it foams up. idk about yours because its hardly any just to be safe i would let the extra out. better to be safe then sorry

Pressure is not what you have to worry about. It's the fact that the crankshaft will be sitting in oil, and can cause the oil to get foamy which will cause premature bearing wear due to failed lubrication.

Not only this, but your engine will lose a little but of power because the counterweights of the crankshaft are moving through a big mess of oil in the pan.

In addition, this can cause your car to burn oil. The counterweights on the crankshaft will throw oil up the sides of the cylinder wall, which may seep past your rings and burn.

These are obviously worse case scenarios, just letting you know that if you do overfill your oil by a lot, it is best to drain it out not just let it be.

Obviously a pint isn't too much, you should be okay.

Good detailed and informative post Matt. I knew too much oil was bad, I just didn't know the specific reason.

:thumbsup:

Back