Top end build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MSRJDub

What's up.I'm in the process or re-builing my DOHC ZC and had a question.I want to know of the best things I can do to build my head up for a decnt little N/A build.I honestly don't wann put alot of money into the motor,because it's only temporary.I just figured I'd build the head up with whatever I can.Just wanna get a few decent upgrades wheter it's buying new,or geting used parts from other engines.The only add ons to the motor that I'll have will be a short ram intake,cat back exaust,and a custom header and downpipe I got with the motor.My only goal is to be able to atleast compete with my homie and the b16 he just dropped into his 88 rex.Any advice would be appreciated.

If it's a temp engine, why waste money on it? There isn't a whole lot of off the shelf stuff for that engine and I'm pretty sure there's nothing OEM that's going to do you any real favors. How much are you looking to spend, anyway?
Well it is gonna be temp,but only in the essence of its gonna be here till i can afford a better swap.Ummmmmm....price wise probably no more than a grand over all,i was thinking of taking that money and buying a used singlecam turbo set up if i can find it,i know a few people.I also heard of some kit or somethin,that eliminates"valve float"or somethin to that sound,not sure,but it's supposidly supposed to make it safe to rev the zc to like 8 grand or somethin.

Wow, dude. Wow.

There's no difference between a SOHC turbo setup and a DOHC turbo setup. And that "kit" you've heard of that eliminates valve float is new valve springs and retainers. Why rev high if you don't have to? You'll have to have cams and a head capable of breathing that high first. I have a "stage 2" style cam and I don't rev past 7500rpm because there's no dyno proven point.

You should 1) save your money for your swap or 2) put a turbo kit together.

Yeah the turbo thing I know,what I meant was gettin a turbo kit used of someone who had it on a sohc because from what I know I'd just have to have the manifold ported to fit the block.Yeah I was skeptic about the other thing myself take it i read it from someone who seemed like they didnt know much,then again,I'm not one to talk.If I do end up slaping a turbo on it,probably sometin like a t3,what would you recommend boosting?The motor is bone stock,just went through and honed the block and replaced the piston rings and a few other things,so I'm thinking somewhere aroun 6-8 pounds,more or less depending on what it can handle.Thanks for your help too by the way.

First, always do your own research. Always. That's how I learned what I know...and I still have a tremendous amount to learn.

You should be able to run up to 200whp and whatever PSI that equals out to. A bone stock Z6 can handle up to 250whp on a properly tuned set-up.
Sounds good.I know it may vary for every state,but any idea how much a good tune job would cost?

It's usually around $150-180 an hour for a dyno tune or around $100-120 an hour for a street tune.

Right on,I actually expected to spend a little more.You suggest any turbo kits?Just looking for something not to pricey,not gonna boost more than 10 pounds anyways.

Back