Top end has no power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

I finally got my VTEC working now that I figured out why my speedometer wasn't working (annoying loose wire on the sensor plug that I can't get to work consistently, gotta redo the connection I suppose because I'm getting tired of stopping and jiggling the wire to get it to work), and I can hear the change in sound when VTEC kicks in. I've read that the stock tachometers actually read about 500 rpms below the actual rpms. So my VTEC "howl" starts at around 6000 rpm, which would be around 5500 rpm in reality. Those are not exact numbers because I'm flying thru the gears mostly.

However, when I'm doin my usual roaring thru the gears on the backroads thing, I hear VTEC kick in and still have my foot to the floor, but I seemed to have already peaked in the gear as far as speed goes, because I don't see my speedometer really moving much till I shift to the next gear. I suppose there's a really simple explanation for this, but I'm really kinda disappointed that VTEC isn't that big a deal. I have fantastic power up till VTEC kicks in, but I would be shifting before that, or immediately after VTEC kicks in, in order to maximize my times. I suppose this makes sense in some way, but I dunno. Maybe I should get a VTEC controller and make it kick in at a lower rpm, say in the 4,000's.

Fix your wiring first, im sure there may be other problems also, or all of this is in your head and your just a n00b to the b16, all it is is top end powa!! :ph34r:

Quoted post[/post]]
Fix your wiring first, im sure there may be other problems also, or all of this is in your head and your just a n00b to the b16, all it is is top end powa!! :ph34r:

I need to either do a dyno or track run, or just break down and use the GTECH Pro on a not so flat road and see what kinda numbers I get for HP and ET. I'd like to drive out to Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, but I never seem to have time during the week with work and school, and the weekends are too crowded to bother.

Check your timing. And I'm not sure where you are shifting, but after 8k, there isn't any power to be had, unless you've done valve train work.

a g tech pro isnt going to solve your problems, be sure of your base timing, and make sure your wiring is correct with no cels. and remember, a b16a isnt a rocketship.

although it should rip all the way to 8300

Quoted post[/post]]
a g tech pro isnt going to solve your problems, be sure of your base timing, and make sure your wiring is correct with no cels. and remember, a b16a isnt a rocketship.

although it should rip all the way to 8300

The Gtech Pro isn't for anything other than telling me my max horsepower and 1/4 mile time. That'll give me a pretty good indication of whether there's anything wrong. With my current setup I'm pretty sure I should be running around a 15 flat or at least a low 15. Like I said though, the only road around here where I could safely do a run is not perfectly level, which is one of the requirements for the Gtech to give an accurate reading.

Back