top speed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gottagetfaster

I have a 97 accord lx. 4 cly 5spd. and i am having problems with my top speed i just got it and i have only changed the intake and muffler. I cant go over 115mph. I had a speed sensor problem once and i was able to go over 115. I was wondering what can i do about this. I was told it was my ecu. and i was also told to keep changing things on my car and eventually it would go over. When i hit 115 it knocks me down like a govern but it only knocks me down to about 113. Could some one please help me on this? thanks!

Yeahit is called the speed governer. It is quite similar to the rev limiter except it controlls your speed. If you want to remove it you can do a few things, chip your ECU (which is highly unrecommended), get hondata which I am not sure will even work with you car, or get some other sort of ecu altering software. Shit you could even swap in another motor and it will probably have a higher speed limit.

The cheapest way to get rid of it. Pull the plug off of the speed sensor. It will give you a CEL for a bad speen sensor but your govenor is gone. The computer cant get a reading so you can go as fast as your redline in 5th.

Chipping the ECU can be effective, particularly for things like accords that hondata doesn't natively support. Masseyracer chooses to not think for himself and he drank the hondata coolaid, so...

I believe HKS and maybe another JDM company make a device that specifically disables the speed limiter without causing a check engine light. You can also find plans for such a device on PGMFI.org / sourceforge.net/projects/pgmfi/ if you are electronically inclined.

I just saw you are OBD2. You'll have to convert to OBD1 to run a chipped ECU. You'd almost be better off finding a European version of the ECU you have because they did not receive speed limiters.

Originally posted by radnulb@Jun 22 2004, 07:10 AM
Masseyracer chooses to not think for himself and he drank the hondata coolaid, so...

Read what I wrote you jackass, you fucking took the time to read what I wrote you will see exactly what I wrote. Here I will quote my self for you.
get hondata which I am not sure will even work with you carget hondata which I am not sure will even work with you car

Now please I am sick of people jumping on my case with out reading. :angry:

Back