Torque Steering

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
Can everyone post as much info on torque steering? It's a new concept to me. Thanks.

Trq steer is where when you acclerate hard, it pulls to one side, You feel it the most when your doing a launch. FWD cars feal it alot. Some simple ways to some what decrease this is make sure that both tires are fill with the same pressure. An LSD will come close to solving this problem.

This is just a short explination of it. I am sure that someone will explain it more in depth.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 16 2003, 01:26 AM
yeah- hold on to the fucking wheel tighter you pussy. :lol:

:lol:

i'm assuming its kinda like that mr2?

torque steer comes from much more than tirepressure. it can come from uneven camber, uneven castor, an excessively worn tire on one side, poorly sized wheels for the car(i.e. wrong offset), ruts in the road(not talking about bumpsteer). etc... in worse case scenario, a malfunctioning ATTS or poorly wired system(prelude SH).

Torque steer can also be caused by uneven springrates(for those of you numbnuts who cut your fuckin springs...) and a damaged damper. It can be fairly difficult to diagnose and in most cases you just have to live with it.

Bumpsteer is mostly caused by big wheels with stock sized backspacing and offset, but are wider than a stock wheel. for example, my accord. 43mm offset, 15x5.5 stock wheel. I don't remember the backspacing at the moment.

My Velox VX8 18x7.5" have the same backspacing and offset as my stock wheel, but it juts out 2 more inches than the stock 15. This is like a vector lever when you hit a rut or a bump with that extra 2 in. The suspension geometry of my passenger car having been lowered doesn't allow for that extra width comfortably. The bumpsteer can be reduced by properly aligning and bracing the front end(tower, tie, and sway bars), as well as stiffer bushings. But the bigger and wider the wheel, the more prone your car will be to bumpsteer.

Got an alignment, but going from a 185 to 205 tire might be the different. The coilovers are adjusted equally and I have a good front end camber kit. I guess it's just a Honda thing.

torque steer is simply the effect you get because your one front wheel is pulling and the other is isn't. its usually only noticeable when you accelerate fairly hard. changing the tire size might increase the effect because of the increased rolling resistance you get from bigger/wider tires.

lol isnt that an oxymoron? honda and torque in the same sentence? anyway... i get torque steer from must driving off from a light sometimes... i need LSD!

Torque steer is also caused by unequal length axles... that's why equal length axle setups like the B series engines have less torque steer than the D series setups.

Back