TPP has a brake question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
i have a question or 2 about brake calipers. i need to replace the pads on the rear of my 1990 Integra. i went to change them over the weekend and there is this big (it looks like a big phillips head) screw on the back of the caliper ( i understand its for the e-brake??). i went to loosen it so i could put the new pads on, and it wouldnt budge one bit. a buddy of mine said that because its basically frozen, that i would need to put new calipers on. well i dont have alot of money to spend at the moment. i know of a junkyard near by me that has 2 90-93 Integras in the yard, and i was wondering if i got the calipers from them, that it would work fine. would this be something i could do for now? like i said, i dont have alot of money to spend on new calipers and i need these brakes fixed ASAP. thanks for the help!!

I ran into this recently, also.

You have to screw it IN to get the pads on. I just used a big screwdriver, it was a PITFA, but they make a cross shaped tool for this.

Lay a long skinny flat blade screwdriver along the cross section and turn it a quarter turn at a time. It's worked for me in the past.

edited because I didn't mean to quote mike

DO NOT USE a c-clamp in the rear. If you cant get the piston to go down by screwing it in, chances are you need a new caliper. Rear calipers are pretty cheap, so it wont set you back to far.

yeah i seen that new ones are cheap, but i dont have alot of money to spend. i just want to know if ones from a junkyard (from the same type of car of course) would work fine for now??

i know it sounds like a dumb question but i am practically broke and i need these fixed soon.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Sep 15 2004, 12:53 PM
yeah i seen that new ones are cheap, but i dont have alot of money to spend. i just want to know if ones from a junkyard (from the same type of car of course) would work fine for now??

i know it sounds like a dumb question but i am practically broke and i need these fixed soon.
[post=390643]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, yes they will work, however, make sure that they do not have the same problem that yours has. Since most cars sit in junkyards for so long and brakes are rarely taken off, many of the brake componets have rusted to shit.

the caliper tool you speak of, is this the one? if not, this is what you need.
648410.jpg

Originally posted by B16@Sep 15 2004, 06:10 PM
the caliper tool you speak of, is this the one? if not, this is what you need.
648410.jpg

[post=390747]Quoted post[/post]​

brake caliper cube ^^^^^

I hate using those things

I always either using a set of neddle nose pliers or the shaft of a screw driver.

yeah thats the caliper tool i have. one guy at work suggested that i heat up that big ass bolt on the back of the caliper to loosen it. wouldnt that weaken it??

You need to crack the bleeder and then use a big flat head screwdriver to screw that bastard in...you will lose some break fluid when you do this and need to add some. I doubt that it's frozen if your breaks are currently working except for needing new pads.

Yeah, try that. If it still doesn't work, you can use the junkyard calipers- just make sure to rebuild them with a rebuild kit from AutoZone or something. The kits are pretty cheap- they're generally just a bunch of gaskets and O rings.

Originally posted by TDaddy@Sep 16 2004, 01:25 AM
You need to crack the bleeder and then use a big flat head screwdriver to screw that bastard in...you will lose some break fluid when you do this and need to add some. I doubt that it's frozen if your breaks are currently working except for needing new pads.
[post=390940]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't open up the bleeder screw. The only thing you need to do to let the fluid go somewhere is to take off the resivoir cap.

Modify a harpoon gun to shoot a boat anchor out of your trunk every time you want to stop? You could have a winch to hoist it back in when the light turns green.

:blink: :lol:

well we(me and my friend wes) got the new pads in. we did the rear passenger side first which was a breeze. the rear drivers side wasnt. got the caliper off the rotor and pulled the old pads, then we tried to loosen that big ass phillips head screw deal on the back of the caliper so we could get the new pads in. we used that crappy ass brake caliper tool deal (pandoras box as wes calls it) and couldnt get that fucker to give...hell we even ground the box down some to fit the tool in to give enough clearance. nothing. so we went to AutoZone to look for a better tool and i asked the guy at the parts counter to see if they have one and he tells us they have one we could rent. we look at it and decided to try it since it was $40 to rent. we got that and came back to my place, and went to town on it. wes had to use alot of force to get it to budge but he got it to release. put the new pads in, tightened everything down and put the wheels on. THEN discovered one of my wheels bent...GOD DAMMIT!! well its gotta hold up so i can get back to Virginia with it so i can look at getting some new wheels later on when i can afford some. ahh well...the brakeswork great (broke em) and i got no more damn annoying squeeking coming from them. im glad thats done and over with.

Back