Tps Issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikey bottles

Prof. Bottles
alright ive got an 88' rex with a B16A OBD0 and it keeps throwing a TPS code. when i tested the power to the TPS its only getting .03v when its supposed to be getting a constant 5v... so before i go taking the wiring harness apart, can anyone tell me which plug/pin to test on the main wiring harness to see if im even getting voltage there? and considering i dont get this fixed before im ready to put it on the road... what potential problems am i looking at?:confused:

you probably have a bad tps..... its common.... try finding a throttle body with one on it and switch it over... or look on ebay and sometimes they have just the tps on there...... it shouldnt hurt anything if u drive it around............. my friend has a bad one in his hatch and the idle bounces from time to time..... try doin that first

I also am experienceing a similar problem, When i am coming to a stop and down shifting the idle bounces till it finds the right rpm- I just got the car, its running a obd0 b16a the person i bought it from said it was the distributor. it should be a TD-22, and i am runnig a TD-02. could the problem be the dizzy or the TPS???

Ive had a similar problem with my tps and have just left it unplugged until i can find another. I have an HF, but cant find out what throttle bodies will bolt up to my intake manifold. (there is a high possibility that there will not be an HF to pull from). anyone know what throttle bodies will match a 91 hf intake manifold? Im guessing the 1.6 will work, but wanted to make sure.

Back to the tps issue, since you left it unplugged, does it rev up and down at idle or does it run normal? and Im thinkin any hf or si model throttle body will work. just look for a similar engine code motor.

The idle still has issues, but nothing significant, just annoying. I believe it may be the EACV thats the cause of that one. Really, unplugging my TPS just cleared up the acceleration issues I was having (strange surges in power or reluctance to accelerate when floored) The problems are coming back with the TPS still unplugged (an additional reason I believe the EACV is to blame) it behaves very similar to what the car does with the EACV unplugged, but at random instead of constant.

Until my idle calms down (which could be never on a honda) I have set the idle with my throttle cable just above where it starts to bob. This uses a shade more gas (1% maybe) but keeps me from hearing the engine idle jump and shaking the whole car.

Last edited:
ok i am having htat annoying problem and i thought it was due to my distributor, i am runing a jdm b16 and there is a distributor off of a usdm si crx on it now so this weekend i will be changing that. now i also get sudden surges in power when i am on the free way so that might also be from the same thing you are expirenceing

I actually had to replace my distributor recently (because of my own stupidity replacing something else) so i have a brand new one in place and im having that problem. Some of it can come from the ignition timing being off by too much. Doesnt help that my engine isnt reaching operating temp.

Back