Tps?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90sihatch

OBD0 ls in a 90si. It's time to get this idle problem figured out, and I think I have it narrowed down. I've disassembled the iacv and fitv and cleaned them both with no results. I was messing around with it this weekend and I noticed when I unplug the tps the surging stops. With the sensor plugged in it doesn't throw any codes and obviously it does with it unplugged. So my question is, should adjusting my tps fix this or does it sound like I need a new one? And also, whats the easiest way to get the rivets out to adjust it? thanks

In the trials i've had with this issue, your symptoms indicate that your tps is bad. check the output with a volt meter. if its never been moved i'd doubt its out of adjustment, but its possible. Those are not rivets holding your tps, they are screws with no heads. one of the threads here tells about removing them, the easiest way is to grind a notch in them and use a flathead screwdriver to get them out. Like i said though any time i've run into a bouncing idle, and unplugging the tps corrected it , the tps was the prob. if the bounce didn't go away with the sensor unplugged its useally something with the IACV, the FITV, intake leak, pcv valve... well those are the most common the list goes on and on though. good luck

while the engine is in the RUN position and at fully closed throttle, check the voltage between the middle wire on the TPS and chassis ground. It should be .45 volts. If not, remove the TPS screws and rotate it until it gets to .45. Use new screws to re-secure the TPS. They are a standard machine thread found in any auto parts store.

Back