Tranny Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brentmc79

What's up guys! I'm new to this forum, but not the subject, so don't worry about me asking any stupid newbie questions. So here goes...

I'm considering buying a D15b vtec and I'd like to have the ZC tranny with the LSD, but I read somewhere that the ZC tranny has to modified to bolt up to a 1.5 liter motor. Is this true?

Pretty sure it will bolt right on, since they are both D series family motor/tranny's. And you may want to remove the pic from the sig, it's policy. :)

it will bolt up - the ZC transmission uses an intermediate shaft and you will need to use 90-93 integra axles

Originally posted by jlicrx@Sep 2 2003, 10:58 PM
it will bolt up - the ZC transmission uses an intermediate shaft and you will need to use 90-93 integra axles

I always wondered about this. Is there any reason you can't use standard d-series axles with a ZC tranny? (not that you would want to with a ZC LSD tranny)The transmission case is identical to every other D-series tranny, right?

Or for that matter, what would prevent someone from using the ZC axle setup on any other D-series tranny(e.g., Si)?

Also, good luck finding and OEM ZC tranny with LSD. They are extremely hard to find.

Originally posted by nuc79+Sep 3 2003, 04:49 PM-->
@Sep 2 2003, 10:58 PM

I always wondered about this. Is there any reason you can't use standard d-series axles with a ZC tranny? (not that you would want to with a ZC LSD tranny)The transmission case is identical to every other D-series tranny, right?

Or for that matter, what would prevent someone from using the ZC axle setup on any other D-series tranny(e.g., Si)?

Also, good luck finding and OEM ZC tranny with LSD. They are extremely hard to find.

It depends on whether or not it is a SOHC, or a DOHC. If it is DOHC you can't because those like the B's use a halfshaft, if it is SOHC, then it is like the other D family, and can use the D axles.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 3 2003, 01:58 PM
It depends on whether or not it is a SOHC, or a DOHC. If it is DOHC you can't because those like the B's use a halfshaft, if it is SOHC, then it is like the other D family, and can use the D axles.

Answered my own question by doing a little research. You CAN use USDM d-series axles with a ZC tranny. Granted, the torque steer will be worse, but it is possible to use the long/short axle arrangement on a ZC tranny, DOHC or not. Until anybody can prove otherwise with first-hand experience, I'll assume the mod at the ZCresource knows what he's talking about:

http://www.thezcr.com/index.php?module=Sta...ew&f=tranny.php

EDIT: I stand corrected. Read jlicrx's post below. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the net... even if the source seems credible.

I am sure you can, but since it was originally designed for a halfshaft, and as you pointed out would drive like ass, what would be the point? Or just a little FYI?

Originally posted by nuc79@Sep 3 2003, 02:37 PM

Answered my own question by doing a little research. You CAN use USDM d-series axles with a ZC tranny. Granted, the torque steer will be worse, but it is possible to use the long/short axle arrangement on a ZC tranny, DOHC or not. Until anybody can prove otherwise with first-hand experience, I'll assume the mod at the ZCresource knows what he's talking about:

http://www.thezcr.com/index.php?module=Sta...ew&f=tranny.php

you cannot use the D-series axles with the L3 ZC transmission - the inner CV joints on the D-series are too small - put them in the transmission, they will just spin around - that is why you have to use the 90-93 Integra B-series axles - if the mod said that they will work, then assume he doesn't know what he is talking about - we have a shop specializing in ZC swaps and trust me D-series axles will not fit the L3 ZC transmission

Originally posted by nuc79@Sep 3 2003, 10:49 AM

I like mine. :)

Too bad I'll be tearing it apart soon and playing around inside. Baby ITR transmission anyone? :lol:

Back