TRANNY REBUILD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92dxhatch

i not too sure about trannies, and before i get my hands in them i want to do some research, i have found a few things but i am looking to rebuild an si tranny, and use the vx tranny final drive for the fith gear. now, will it work, i do alot of freeway commuting and i know the vx tranny is the best for gas milage, but would like to have some good speed with the first for gears. am i just asking for trouble? or is this something that can be done. please don't rip me, it's an honest question, when i'm in town i'm never in fifth, the only time i use it is to cruze on the freeway, so my thought is to have a better gearing ratio for the first four and have a nice freeway flyer in fifth, thats how i built my 64 beelte tranny, and it turned out great, but not to fimiluar with honda trannies. plus i'm going to throw in a stage two clutch and and a lightened flywheel, when i get to the tranny building. either way i'm building an si tranny for a 92 hatch. just a random question, all help and advise would be greatly apresiated, thanks

Originally posted by 92dxhatch@Mar 2 2005, 07:00 PM
use the vx tranny final drive for the fith gear
[post=468490]Quoted post[/post]​

Can't do that. You can use the VX final drive in place of the Si final drive, and you can use the VX 5th gear in place of the Si 5th gear, but you can't use a final drive in place of a gear. The final drive is the ring gear around your differential- it won't exactly work in place of one of your normal 1-5 gear ratios.

dude, thanks, what i meant was the vx fifth gear for the si fifth gear, which you already answered. now my other question, would that be okay, i mean would i have issues with it, or will it work just fine like in theory?

Yeah, it'll be fine- just be sure to change over any idler/counter gears that go with that 5th gear if there are any, and make sure all your clearances are good.

The 5th gears are all the same in the VX/CX/DX/LX/EX (.702)... the final drive is what makes them all different. The SI 5th gear is .750, so putting a .702 5th in will kinda be a waste of time. Just get yourself an EX tranny to start with.

Here is what you should do if you want performance and a decent freeway 5th. Get yourself a 96-00 EX tranny because it has the shortest gearing and steel shifter forks. Then get yourself ZC 3rd and 4th gears to put in, and your 1-4 gears will be fairly short, and your 5th gear will stay the same. Switching final drives so you have a relly good 5th gear for the freeway will kill your 1-4 gears, so you will have to choose what you want... performance or freeway.

Here is a good thread you should read and a tranny calculator...

http://home.cinci.rr.com/mistab0ne/tranny.html

http://autocrossing.com/cgi-bin/gearcalc.cgi

Back