Transmission...and Fluid?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magik

This may seem like a dumb question but...how do I check my transmission fluid? What are the steps, procedures, how do I know if it has to be changed, what do I need to change it etc.?

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

PS> Sometimes my shifter goes hard into first gear and when I am going into first from second it sounds like there is some kind of scrape/whine sound? could that just be the shifter bushing?

I am asuming you have a 5 spd? Manuals usually use gear lube which different from auto tranny fluid and the don't have a dip stick. Your best bet would be to drain the gear box and refill with fresh gear lube. To check/or fill the tranny, there is plug on the right side of the housing underneath. There are actually two plugs, one is for fill/check the other is to drain. The check/fill plug is plug similar to the oil drain plug whic is located up an to the left of the tranny drain plug, you can use a box end or open end wrench. The drain plug uses a 3/8 driver with no socket. To drain simply remove the drain plug. To check the level look to see the level of the lube is up to the hole, if not fill it using the same hole, you will probably need a funnel to accomplish this.

Hope this helps.

P.S Honda recommends replacing the lube every 30K miles

Mike

Originally posted by Riley37@May 18 2004, 12:17 AM
Your best bet would be to drain the gear box and refill with fresh gear lube.

Honda recommends Honda MTF or 10w30 non-synthetic motor oil. Don't use gear lube in a Honda manual transmission.

a guy who worked on my car added synthetic to my tranny its only been in there a week what harm could it have done so far and is it permanent ..not to steal this post or anything just asking before i forget srry :(

Originally posted by Calesta+May 18 2004, 01:14 AM-->
@May 18 2004, 12:17 AM
Your best bet would be to drain the gear box and refill with fresh gear lube.

Honda recommends Honda MTF or 10w30 non-synthetic motor oil. Don't use gear lube in a Honda manual transmission.

Yup your right, hope I did not confuse anyone, just using "gear lube" generally to illustrate that there is a difference between ATF and MTF.

Originally posted by evilgsr+May 18 2004, 01:46 AM-->
a guy who worked on my car added synthetic to my tranny its only been in there a week what harm could it have done so far and is it permanent ..not to steal this post or anything just asking before i forget srry

You'll be ok- synthetic generally just doesn't allow your synchronizers to "grip" as well as they should. It's not permanent- you can dump it and refill it yourself in about 15 minutes.

Riley37
@May 18 2004, 03:12 PM
Yup your right, hope I did not confuse anyone, just using "gear lube" generally to illustrate that there is a difference between ATF and MTF.

Gotcha. When I hear "gear lube" I think about the big jugs of 75w90 or 85w140 (or whatever) that shops normally sell for transmission oil. You want to actually use 10w30 motor oil in your transmission if you can't get Honda MTF.

I used lucas in my accords auto[did wonders] but see the manual bottles as well,are these ok for the honda's?

Back