transmission dilemma

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word

hey,
i'm currently running a ls transmission with b16 in a 96 civic hb. its been able to hold its own against other cars on top end (3rd and 4th gear), gsrs, gsr hatches, rx8s and si's. because my b16 is stock with intake and itr intake mani only, it leads me to believe that the reason that i pulled on them on the top end is because of the longer gearing.

now i know everyone thinks the ls tranny is no good for anything but gas milage, i've always thought the tranny gives me an advantage on the top end.

now i can ditch my ls tranny and replace it with a gsr tranny for free, i'm leaning towards getting it but just wanted some inputs on how the car'll run after the tranny swap, top end wise.

thanks
chris

Get the GSR tranny, no question.

Shorter gears=better acceleration. And you are all motor, you need short gears.

hell yeah go for it. then you dont have to keep hitting vtec over again after everyshift.

Originally posted by word@Feb 22 2004, 11:10 PM
i'm leaning towards getting it but just wanted some inputs on how the car'll run after the tranny swap, top end wise.

if running a 205/50/15 with an OD of 23.1"
in 5th gear at 8000 RPM:
LS tranny 180MPH
GSR tranny 159mph

i doubt you will be topping out either one
so get the GSR tranny
"actual faster acceleration" is a hell of a lot better than "theoretical top end gain"

i would never want to do 180 mph in a fucking civic. lol

Get the GSR transmission. Your car doesn't even have near enough power to max out the LS transmission- you wouldn't get to 180mph no matter how hard you pushed it.

B, 150mph in a Civic isn't too bad. It's a lot more stable than you think! Maybe 180mph isn't that bad either- but I ran out of gear.

:lol:

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 28 2004, 03:40 AM
B, 150mph in a Civic isn't too bad. It's a lot more stable than you think! Maybe 180mph isn't that bad either- but I ran out of gear.

:werd:

had 400RPMs left still pulling nicely.... but I ran out of balls :(

oh well i guess ill give it another shot this season :)

my s4 tranny only topped out at I think 148mph........when you hit it, it feels like your not moving anymore :()

I've had the Si to 130 once, it felt stable as hell. Save for the fucking air leaks in both of my doors, the shitty curving roads...i felt like I was in complete control.

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Feb 28 2004, 05:19 AM-->
@Feb 28 2004, 03:40 AM

:werd:

had 400RPMs left still pulling nicely.... but I ran out of balls :(

oh well i guess ill give it another shot this season :)

Heh. Your engine can rev higher than my old B20/VTEC, so you could run faster... I just didn't want to sustain 8000+ rpm for very long in 5th.

Back