transmission for B20/Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

koguchi_powr

I was thinking about building a B20/Vtec motor as a project, and i was wondering what transmission could be used with it. I was hoping to drop it into a 92-95 hatch, and i obviously cant use the CRV transmission. Could i keep the stock tranny from the EG with the b20, or would i have to get a GSR transmission, SiR, etc.? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :worthy:

First off, you can't use the stock transmission.

For a transmission to use, you will get mixed results, but a ITR tranny would be nice due to the close gearing. If you do a lot of driving I would go with a gsr tranny since it is taller geared for highway driving, but still is close enough to keep the motor in higher rpm's while racing.

the b16 tranny y1 s1 j1 . . will also work and be the cheapest way out, though there is debate over whether or not the b16 differntial can hold the power of b20vtec setups...

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Dec 17 2003, 01:44 AM
though there is debate over whether or not the b16 differntial can hold the power of b20vtec setups...

Really?! So... if there are TONS of turbo 99-00 Si Civics running around with stock engine and stock transmission, there's debate about an all motor B20/VTEC breaking the transmission? It will hold just fine.

JDM ITR tranny, if not then the US spec will do, the SiR2 tranny is great also along with the S4 that came out of the 99+Si.

and just so the record shows you can use the CRV AWD system in swaps, I have seen it with my own eyes on a 00 type R, the kid is an editor for Honda Tuning and he says the tranny literally only spins 3 wheels but that he does notice a difference.

Back