1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transmission for B20/Vtec

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by koguchi_powr, Dec 17, 2003.

1. koguchi_powr

koguchi_powr Junior Member

I was thinking about building a B20/Vtec motor as a project, and i was wondering what transmission could be used with it. I was hoping to drop it into a 92-95 hatch, and i obviously cant use the CRV transmission. Could i keep the stock tranny from the EG with the b20, or would i have to get a GSR transmission, SiR, etc.? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :worthy:

2. toyz51

toyz51 Member

First off, you can't use the stock transmission.

For a transmission to use, you will get mixed results, but a ITR tranny would be nice due to the close gearing. If you do a lot of driving I would go with a gsr tranny since it is taller geared for highway driving, but still is close enough to keep the motor in higher rpm's while racing.

3. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

the b16 tranny y1 s1 j1 . . will also work and be the cheapest way out, though there is debate over whether or not the b16 differntial can hold the power of b20vtec setups...

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Really?! So... if there are TONS of turbo 99-00 Si Civics running around with stock engine and stock transmission, there's debate about an all motor B20/VTEC breaking the transmission? It will hold just fine.

5. h22bubbleback

h22bubbleback Senior Member

i believe you should get a b16 tranny...fuck the taller gears, esspecially if thats not ur daily driver

6. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

JDM ITR tranny, if not then the US spec will do, the SiR2 tranny is great also along with the S4 that came out of the 99+Si.

and just so the record shows you can use the CRV AWD system in swaps, I have seen it with my own eyes on a 00 type R, the kid is an editor for Honda Tuning and he says the tranny literally only spins 3 wheels but that he does notice a difference.

7. koguchi_powr

koguchi_powr Junior Member

thanks for the info guys

8. B18C1civic96

B18C1civic96 Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted