Transmission Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThePilotsPilot

I have a 2007 Pilot with 80k on it. I drained out about 4 quarts of old fluid and replenished it with 4 quarts of Honda OEM fluid that has a "Z" and a "1" or something in it. No substitutes!
After everything was done I warmed up the vehicle and put it in Drive. There was no movement like it normally would. It will move only if I stepped on the pedal slightly. After a while, it began to drive. When I accelerated slowly, it made a sudden slip-grind noise. Then, it lost momentum. I had to gently tap the pedal in order to continue moving until I got home. I thought I may have (under)over-filled the fluid. But, when I poured the remaining used fluid into the quart containers, it filled all 4. The 4th bottle was about a quarter less of used fluid.
What the hell happened? A simple fluid change had some major complications. I called Honda to give me some insight (copyright) on what to do. "Bring it in. We'll look at it" Oh no, I'm not paying 100's of $$'s just for you to look at it.
If anyone here has a Pilot, had a tranny fluid change, with the same hiccup as I did. Please share some tips n' tricks on this matter. Please help me out because the Pilot's my commuter. Thanks!:bangdesk:

this may sound like a stupid obvious question.
but, are you sure you put the trans fluid into the trans.
its a fairly common mistake for somebody to pour the trans fluid into the engine oil.
check your engine oil, make sure you arent over full on that.

I did and your right. First of all from the color of the dip stick handle being RED I automatically thought..Transmission Fluid. And the YELLOW dipstick was the MOTOR OIL!
I wonder what dip shit @ HONDA decided to confuse it's consumers like that. I wasted good trans fluid for that. I flushed out the engine and gave it fresh new oil. (it was 400 mi near due anyways) I bought more trans fluid and filled the right hole (this time)
Anyways your question was valid. Not stupid. Thanks!

P.S. To HONDA INC. you need and American representative as the 2nd-in-charge of the "Color code it like American car companies do because us Americans already know that Yellow is for the oil and Red or Black colored dip sticks is for the Transmission." Otherwise in the up- coming models you'll use an oil cap cover instead of a plastic cover where the windshield washer fluid should go!

well. hopefully there wasnt any major damage done to the trans, you may have shortened the life a bit, but you'll know within a few days if theres any new issues with it from being a bit dry.

on the good side though, at least your engine is flushed out really well.
trans fluid does a good job of cleaning shit out of the engine.

good luck. let us know if there are any issues with the trans, im sure other pilot owners have done this or will do this. they would be thankful to have someone else let them know.

I have almost done this before but i always double check, i want to know if it causes any further damage and how long you drove without tranny fluid.

No problems since the new fluid was added. It drives smoothly and so does the shifting. I can feel it. It's the same commuter like it was.

Back