Transmission rear mount

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Well for any of you who have to do an auto to manual swap you know that some of the mounts must be changed. The side and rear tranny specifically. The only one that is a pain is the rear. The fork is different and you must replace it with one from a manual tranny. The acutal rubber mount that is on the frame is the same EXCEPT you have to move is over about an inch or two twords the passenger side.
The easiest way that I found to do this was to remove the two bolts that are easy to get to. After this is done take a small sledge hammer and hit the mount so it rotates as far counter clockwise as possible. Then get a 14mm 1/4" socket, attach that to a small extention (3" I think??), attach a 1/4" swivel. Slide these through the opening between the firewall and the mount, place it on the bolt. Then find as many extentions as you can possible get and attach them high enough above the engine where you can really crank on it. I used a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter and it broke loose with that. Install it like you removed it.

hehe, ya if it wasn't for your reply I would have never figured out out to get that stupid thing off of there. It still probably took me an hour of figuring out which extentions and such would make it work. :D

yeah its its like a little puzzle but really simple to do i felt really dumb after i looked at it for 20 mins with no clue

Ya, the front mount was doing all the work, all kinds of wheel hop and it wasn't real fun to drive. Much better now. And before it was real hard to get into gear and I thought it was the clutch, when it was just because of that stupid mount.

Back