Trying to polish a turd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well i got a new beater, an 88 dx, that needs some serious interior work

its all in there, but all of the plastic is spray painted tan(i mean everything, dashboard, doors, headliner EVERYTHING) , and the dc integra seats aren't in right so i can barely reach the pedel's (no im not that short im 5'8) so those are going to be ditched as well.

Some of the paint is falling off, some seems like its really on there, i just wanted to know if you guys knew of a way to get it off without ruining the plastic? or am i SOL and i have to just put all new stuff in ???

i have no issues fixing the suspension,exhaust, and everything under the hood but when it comes to painting an interior and all that jazz i have no clue.........

acetone free nail polish remover, brake fluid or paint peeler you kind find at autozone.

nail polish takes a lot of elbow grease, brake fluid is easy, but you have to let it soak for and hour or so and you have to peel the paint off (dull knife, scissors or finger nails) and then the paint peeler is probably the most expensive way to go.

thanks, im prolly gonna try the paint peeler, Thats pretty much what i had in mind but i didnt know if it would eat the plastic too....

im gonna also try some mineral spirits on some spots to see if that works too....

After i figure out what works best ill put up a before and after so if someone else gets a spray painted pos they can fix it too lol

yeah, the guys at the body shop i work at everynow and then tell me that acetone(nail polish remover) can pull paint off better than some of the industrial stuff they use.

lol, all the places i looked for info at said dont use acetone, although i dont see how it could hurt...it doesnt make women's nails dissolve.

Back