tune up question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chacal06

Ok is time to do my tune up but I had a few questions in mind this is not my first but it is for a swap engine.....ok so I have a 94 civic with a b18 block and b16 head I want to do an oil change and spark plugs I heard valvoline 10w 30 is good for oil...for the filter I get it for a 94 integra and I don't kno if the sprak plugs I should get for the same year or for the yr of the heads ?? THANKS IN ADVANCE

use 5-30 unless you're in the desert, especially this time of year (winter).

all b-series oil filters and spark plugs are the same. 94 integra will be fine.

Oil is rated in viscosity thickness
--Ex : (0W-20) 0= oil viscosity @ cold start<very thin> as the engine heats up to operating temp.The oil rating (20)= how thick the oil will get, which in this case stays very thin.

--so on (10w-30) is most common for stock engines.

when u go into tuning with oil... it really depends on the clearances in the motor. For instance a race motor application u would want to run a thinner oil because of closer clearances. The thinner the oil the less friction resistance..but you can go to far..to thin of an oil will not dissipate heat. The block itself will suffer from thermal heat(basically overheating) to thick will basically be like putting gear oil (75W-80) it will be hard to flow that type of oil through the block & head

The manual calls for 5w-30 in most instances, 10-30 may be used in summer in higher temp climates (arizona, etc).

Back