Tuned B16 Turbo???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Si_hatch

I am a member of turbod16.com and I am familiar with what kind of tune to run on a D16, but now I am getting into a different world with a B16. I don’t know what would be a proper tune a stock b16 in a 89 ef si. I will be running a Garrett t3 42/48, DSM 450 injectors, FMIC, walbro 255 fuel pump, log manifold. I would like to be in the low 12's in the 1/4 mile, I have seen videos of stock b16's running high 11's to low 12's with only 10psi, that is unheard of with a d series so I am pumped! Is it ok to run a AFC hack on a b series with about 10psi, or is that unreliable. I know that with a D series you don’t want to go above ~9psi that yields around 200 WHP. So I have no idea what applies for a B series and if you would even recommend the AFC hack, thank for your help. Plus do you guys know of a good site that I can get piping for a FMIC for my 89 ef si, thanks.

I'm running a turbo D16 currently with all of the usual add on's at 12 psi on a stock block. It makes no sense to use the AFC hack when you can chip it without any real issues. I am also swapping in a B16, I have it on the stand currently and doing some insurance work on it prior to the swap. Being that piping is so difficult I ended up buying an ebay set and then taking that to the local muffler shop and fabing up the missing and or wrong piping...

I will be running a Garrett t3 42/48, DSM 450 injectors, FMIC, walbro 255 fuel pump, log manifold. I would like to be in the low 12's in the 1/4 mile, I have seen videos of stock b16's running high 11's to low 12's with only 10psi, that is unheard of with a d series so I am pumped! Is it ok to run a AFC hack on a b series with about 10psi, or is that unreliable. I know that with a D series you don’t want to go above ~9psi that yields around 200 WHP. So I have no idea what applies for a B series and if you would even recommend the AFC hack, thank for your help.

Garrett t3 42/48 is fairly small for a b16, I say get a turbo with .63 turbine a/r! I also seen a stock d16y8 push 16+psi on a garrett gt28r(edelbrock kit)! My homie's stock z6 (t3/to4e) 10psi did 12's all night on the hack but I say get crome, neptune, or better management!:D Get some U-bend pipes and DIY!

I agree with everything these guys said. Im currently working on boostin my b16 in my 89 crx. Use BRE and get it tuned, doing the piping is pretty easy. The biggest problem ive had so far is downpipe clearance-not much room in a crx with a b16..lol...

that turbo is too small for a d-series, let alone a b-series...

but anyway....

i'd highly consider doing an obd1 conversion, and running crome.

your right about the turbo size, that is too small for a D16 even... The down pipe was a bitch, but the charge pipe to FMIC was worse. I'm making a new one with oval pipe for more clearance. And when you make or get pipes make sure you have a bead on the ends, roll, weld or JB weld a bead...

Back