1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turbo b16 not building boost

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by 93y7, Jun 13, 2009.

1. 93y7

93y7 New Member

my wastegate has been opening and running four psi. it is dumping right out of the wastegate. i have the wastegate pointed up. after i put my hood on it ran 4psi for about 10 minutes. after that my turbo spiked 15 psi and then it stopped building boost. the breather i have on the valve cover is smoking now when the car runs. exhaust smokes a little now. can anyone help me? could it be that the wastegate was blowing into the hood and maybe backing up?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. gettocrx

gettocrx Member

If there's smoke coming out of the valve cover, you coud have blow by. other then that see if the wastegate is stuck open and make sure the couplings are on good..

3. 93y7

93y7 New Member

all couplings are on good. no oil in intercooler piping. the bov goes off but have no boost. maybe leaking out somewhere. where would it be going tho

4. 93y7

93y7 New Member

rings are toast. have 60 and 90 compression in 3 cylinders. add oil and compression is high

5. 95EGCoupeVtec

95EGCoupeVtec SOHC VTEC at its best

did u figure out why the boost spiked so bad?

6. 97hatch

97hatch ?

boost spike and lack of a tune up thath high probaly cracked a ringland i had a silicone hose burst on a single cam i built and it spiked to like 25 really quick and it was under full load when it happpend blew every rod out the bottom of the pan and one got stuck in the radiator was not a good day. I now program a boost cut in every car i tune to prevent a over boost situtation

7. 93y7

93y7 New Member

i think it was my fault. i couldnt get a dumptube fabbed so i pointed the wastegate straight up and i think it was so close to the hood it restricted the flow of the wastegate.

8. 97hatch

97hatch ?

you pointed it up at the hood were you trying to burn the car down

9. 93y7

93y7 New Member

stupid idea.. i know... was anxious to drive it. my stupidity cost me alot of money :confused: does anyone know if i have to notch my block to run eagle h beam rods?

10. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

11. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Why not just point it down? Or to the side? Anything is better than at the hood. That's just asking to bake the paint and bubble it.

12. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

i just got a dump tube for my wastegate. i could tell a differance in temp almost instantly. not only is heat an issue but also your sucking in hot exhaust gas instead of just air.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted