Turbo Installation: Day On Complete

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
started at 9am today (friday) and just finished up at around 7pm.

boy did this day goto shit.....

the instructions on turbocivic.net were lacking to say the least. it did not tell me how many bolts and what washer/locknut combination to use on the exhaust mainfold to the turbo as well as several other parts in assembling the turbo.

the exhaust manifold was a bitch to take off my car. the oil pan, had two hidden nuts that i had to figure out how to take off (unbolt black tranny guard thingy)

when i drained my oil pan.....only a quart of oil came out. im two weeks and 400 miles overdue for an oil change. no fucking clue as to why my car eats oil. it runs strong, no smoke coming out of exhaust when i accellerate and what not. im thinking its because i was so hard on my car and i was always in vtec when i was driving it around for the past few months.....

this is not a cakewalk. before you install your turbo, make sure you know what the fuck you are getting yourself into....

then to top it off, i had the local muffler guy weld on the bov flange, and he fucked the hole up and made it too small.....so i had to dremel it out. shitty weld job also.

Tomorrow entails wiring up the blue box...

then i gotta finish assembling the turbo, bolt it on, hook up all pipes (im running no intercooler for a few months, hope ill be o.k.) then extend the o2 sensor, figure out what to do with the other o2 sensor thingy that was originally connected to my cai.....and tap the oil pan and re-intall everything.

hopefully by tomorrow afternoon ill be up and running. then its off to the muffler shop on sunday to get a CARSOUND hi flow cat welded on....

fun. fun. fun.

i hope my fucking car starts and runs ok when i finally turn the key tomorrow afternooon...

please lord.

you have an o2 sensor in your intake??????? wtf????

my motor is the same way. i fll it with 3.5qt's, i take out about 1.2 when i change it on time. THAT is why you need a catch can. pvc shit going back in and getting burned up.

I really can't beleive you aren't using an intercooler....
cali heat
91 octane gas (i think thats what you said is the best there....)

man, you are going ot be lucky if you don't blow up. I wouldn't boost over 4 psi in the day, and 5 at night when its colder out..... I'm skurd for you.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 21 2003, 12:28 AM
you have an o2 sensor in your intake??????? wtf????

my motor is the same way. i fll it with 3.5qt's, i take out about 1.2 when i change it on time. THAT is why you need a catch can. pvc shit going back in and getting burned up.

I really can't beleive you aren't using an intercooler....
cali heat
91 octane gas (i think thats what you said is the best there....)

man, you are going ot be lucky if you don't blow up. I wouldn't boost over 4 psi in the day, and 5 at night when its colder out..... I'm skurd for you.

well, i talked to 10 diff. guys @ the boosted "d" series board....they were running no ic in the HOT texas heat for 6 months....

no, im not running higher than stock boost untill i get my vafc and what not.

yes, it isnt a o2 sensor, but it reads the temp on the air intake....i know you guys know what im talking about, i just dont know the proper name for it....it goes in that black rubber boot on your cai pipe. i gotta somehow unwravel it and take it down to my intake pipe.

the reason im encountering so many bullshit problems is because this is the BIGGEST thing i have done to a car, unless you count instaling a cold air intake. and im essentially doing it myself. fuckit. if i can hang with law school, i can certainly hang with unbolting a car and bolting up a simple fucking turbo kit. its all about personal pride, and there is nothing i cant do if i try hard enough. bah.

the car is an ex.

and yes, Cali gas is only 91 octane. so im going to drop a bottle of that NOS octane booster, think it raises it 7 points every week, untill i get my fuel management problems under control (dropping a nuclear bomb on the blue box)

i dont think ill blow up. i wont be hard on the car untill my shit is midly built. i dont go around town looking for races (anymore haha, i used to head-hunt mustang gts in my old zc, and whenever i saw one i was on his/her ass)

and i dont got a boost controller so im stuck @ 5.5psi.

hope tomorrow goes alot better than today.

edit, im pretty sure im going to throw a CEL when im finished with the turbo install, or when i get the high flow cat on ....so im seriously considering going obd1.

the pcv valve is a valve that allows blowby gases to escape and go into the air intake to be burned up. A catch can catches the oil and re diliveres it to the oil pan. Cusco makes one. I swear I saw a diy one somewhere I am trying to find it.

Breather-Kit.jpg

http://theoldone.com/components/breather/

very worth it. there are tons more on the market.

the CIA o2 sensor is actually the IAT sensor :)

Colin- you REALLY need to learn how to spell bro. lol seriously. I mean, its getting bad. Is Cusco. and its manual, not manuel :) and every sion you spell tion (as in suspention) lol

7 points is actaully .7. so now, you have 91.7 octane. still kinda lame.

just be careful man....

The greddy catch can looks awesome also and I think its a few bucks cheaper they have it at options auto salon. Good luck with everything a turbo kit is a big step from a cai.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 21 2003, 02:19 AM
Colin- you REALLY need to learn how to spell bro. lol seriously. I mean, its getting bad. Is Cusco. and its manual, not manuel :) and every sion you spell tion (as in suspention) lol

You shouldn't talk. You spelled my name wrong! Ass. It is Collin not colin. Colin is a part of the ass, I am not that. And yes. For some reason I have not been able to type lately and on top of that I am a horrible speller to beggin with.

Plus before you put your post in, I noticed I put a "T" in Cusco, so I went and edited it. Must be thinking of the great store ever, Costco. They have everthing! :)

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jun 21 2003, 01:37 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jun 21 2003, 02:19 AM
Colin- you REALLY need to learn how to spell bro.  lol seriously.  I mean, its getting bad.  Is Cusco. and its manual, not manuel :)  and every sion you spell tion (as in suspention)  lol

You shouldn't talk. You spelled my name wrong! Ass. It is Collin not colin. Colin is a part of the ass, I am not that. And yes. For some reason I have not been able to type lately and on top of that I am a horrible speller to beggin with.

Plus before you put your post in, I noticed I put a "T" in Cusco, so I went and edited it. Must be thinking of the great store ever, Costco. They have everthing! :)

no....colOn is apart of your ass. my brothers name is spelled Colin. :) :angry: :ph34r:

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jun 21 2003, 02:41 AM
no....colOn is apart of your ass. my brothers name is spelled Colin. :) :angry: :ph34r:

He spells it the wrong way! Colin is just one letter away from being an ass, Collin is two.

Originally posted by karnash@Jun 20 2003, 10:40 PM
and i dont got a boost controller so im stuck @ 5.5psi.

The wastegate is adjustable on the Greddy kit from 5.5PSI-8.5PSI. Look at the nut on the end of the wastegate actuator on the turbo... Thats where you can adjust it! I wouldn't recomend you going over 7PSI without an intercooler bro! BTW you can get manual boost controllers for like $30-$50 yo! I personally don't like them for numerous reasons, but a boost controller can be that cheap!

Back