Turbo ITR = kaboom?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

akcman

Hey guys,
I want to turbo my DC2 ITR, but a lot of people have told me that i will blow my engine unless i lower the compression ratio.
At the moment, i'm looking at an apexi bolt on kit.
Can anyone help me, and let me know whether it is SAFE or not to bolt on this turbo kit and get a computer (e.g. AEM) to tune... do i need anything else?? pistons?? etc... to make this safe??

you will make power with a turbo. the question is how much boost/power do you want to produce? yes the compression is a little high to just slap on a kit and want to boost 12psi all day long. PM 2litreeg, he has a turbo itr setup and can help you with your questions.

turbo type r's are bad bitches....tune it and dont worry with 9 psi....but tune it right and youll be vyer happy with the results....

Originally posted by ek9r@Nov 10 2003, 10:43 AM
you will make power with a turbo. the question is how much boost/power do you want to produce? yes the compression is a little high to just slap on a kit and want to boost 12psi all day long. PM 2litreeg, he has a turbo itr setup and can help you with your questions.

ehh i believe 2 Litre EG has a 2.0l ls/vtec all motor

pretty sure you are thinking of colorpros, he is the one with the itr/t

Originally posted by SolReaver+Nov 10 2003, 10:56 AM-->
@Nov 10 2003, 10:43 AM

ehh i believe 2 Litre EG has a 2.0l ls/vtec all motor

pretty sure you are thinking of colorpros, he is the one with the itr/t

Yea Colorpros is the one with the Turbo ITR

Tuning is very important, and you can't go wrong w/ hondata, but if you wanted to be safe, get an aftermarket thicker head gasket..... That will lower your compression ratio.

Originally posted by MaliWho97@Nov 10 2003, 03:37 PM
Tuning is very important, and you can't go wrong w/ hondata, but if you wanted to be safe, get an aftermarket thicker head gasket..... That will lower your compression ratio.

X-Actly

the head gasket doesnt even have to be that thick either - if your compression is around 10 flat to 10.4 max, there is no reason why u cant run 10 psi on that motor with good tuning.

uhh if you think getting a thicker head gasket is going to keep you safe your wrong. .1 compression point isn't going to be the difference between safe and not safe on a turbo ITR

Uh, yes, a thicker head gasket will help. Anything that will lower your effective compression will help a car w/ an undesireable static compression, I don't give a damn what it is. HKS makes one specifically for this application I do believe. You can check them out on OptAuto.com. Type R Internals are good for being stock, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to run 10 psi. TUNING is important!!!!! Hondata all the way!!!!!

Thicker headgasket (YES it WILL help), Hondata, and fuel managment. You could go ahead and pull out your motor and I could trade you my LS pistons and valves for your ITR pistons and valves to lower your cmpression, but with those few bolt ones, it'll be a lot easier. Not to mention get a full exhaust system from the downpipe to the muffler and you can get a lot of power out of your turbo setup with that.

lower compression makes less power and reduces heat which thus reduces the chance of detonation.
however, it is bullshit to think that simply slapping a thicker gasket in there that you are safe.

the key to a boosted setup, is fuel delivery and management- and its amazing that its the #1 skimped part.

cheers guys.. for the quick reply..
I looked at the apexi kit, and it only runs 02-0.5K boost ( i assume that means bar) and it already has 210ps at the wheels... that's with out a head gasket...
due to $$$ issues.. i only plan to get the kit and computer at the moment
the rest i'll do when i have bling bling... :D
so my shopping list at the moment:
1. Apexi turbo kit
2. Fuel pump
3. Injectors
4. Computer
5. Blardy good tuner

That shud be enuff to run 0.5 bar safely???

Btw, u guys suggest hondata... the problem is that i live in Aus, Perth, a small city where there are no tuners experienced with hondata... however there is a good tuner experiecned with AEM... is AEM ok???

Also, i will need bigger injectors.. atm thinking of 365cc from a prelude, but i was thinking might as well go 550cc so i dun need to upgrade later if feel like more boost... where can i get 550cc injector that will fit??? NSX injector????

Thanks guys.. appreciate it B)

aem is a fine unit. it is just more expensive.

.5 bar = 7 psi or so... average for a bolt-on kit.

get the 550's. you will use a lot of it up. RCeng.com sells some good injectors. make sure you get saturated, else you will have to wire up a resistor box for peak/hold style.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 10 2003, 09:18 PM-->
lower compression makes less power and reduces heat which thus reduces the chance of detonation.
however, it is bullshit to think that simply slapping a thicker gasket in there that you are safe.

the key to a boosted setup, is fuel delivery and management- and its amazing that its the #1 skimped part.
My points were lost apparently, everyone seems to think thick headgaskets are the best device on the market.

:werd:

Originally posted by Liquid00Meth@
just don't skimp on the tuning and you will be fine. Hondata all the way.

Liquid00Meth

uhh if you think getting a thicker head gasket is going to keep you safe your wrong. .1 compression point isn't going to be the difference between safe and not safe on a turbo ITR

oh and also, indeed on the 550s. It is always better to have some capacity left over, you almost never want to be running at near full fuel capacity.

Back