1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo ITR

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Domi31, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Domi31

Domi31 Member

This site help me do my swap with out ever posting a Q so thanks for that :worthy: I just read the forms and some past Q from others

I have a B18C R in a EG. Now i want to push some boost, im going to puss out and go with a kit, chances are the rev hard kit. My q is with out changing any internals can I push 5 psi with 11.1 comp., can i stay with the FMU, or will that have to be the first thing to go? I have heard that you can go as far as your tunning but, for such low boost would it matter? Rev hard comes with a TiAl WG and couldnt i just put in a 5 psi spring and still run the FMU? :unsure: I want to go with hondata but I dont trust my-self to do the tuning and Im sure dyno time cost bucks. And say i do go with hondata and have a shop tune my car will i be able to boost any more? Thanks for any input.

2. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

Defenitly get rid of the FMU.

If your on a little bit of a budget get Uberdata.

And yes, yes you could probably put a 7-8 psi spring in there if you get it tuned good.

3. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

:withstupid: Get Uberdata and take that $500 from the hondata and get your car tuned. That will help x10000000.

4. Domi31

Domi31 Member

Would I be better off making my own turbo kit? I have been reading on homemadeturbo and im starting to get that itch. Or would the rev hard kit be better?
    I think one guy has put a turbo on his type r motor on this site, but he blew a ring, and rebuilt the motor, but is there some one here that has this motor boosted w/out a rebuild?

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

sure - piece together your own.

just DONT skimp on fuel management

6. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

you can piece together a PIMP turbo setup for the same price as that revhard kit. Also the revhard manifold isn't the best. Look into full-race or one of the numorous full-race copies out there. You can find them for $600-1000 for one of the best turbo manifold designs for honda.

edit - acutally, B - what was the company that you made fun of for making full-race rip off manifolds? If I remember right, they looked pretty good, and very reasonably priced. He should look into one of those.

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

i don't remember...

but i will say this... i would HIGHLY recommend you replace the pistons, the ring lands on itr pistons don't handel boost well at all.

8. Domi31

Domi31 Member

I have heard that the ITR ring lands are thin, in fact Johnnylawless on this site blew ring land on piston # 3 when he bosted this motor. I am looking into this. If i keep it at low boost I think I can still do this. 5 psi isnt much but on this motor it is all I need. I still am looking at hondata becuase I feel it is safer for this motor.
    Tunning is Everything Right?

as far as manifold im looking at Inline Pro manifold or a knock off like this. I also need tips on picking size of turbo, i feel i can deal with a dinky turbo and im not worried about lag if i keep the pistons. Goal is 250-270 hp. Any tips on this would be great.

This is still a good 3 months away for me; right now im just reading up.

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

270hp off 5 psi???

took me 11 on a t3/t67

10. Johnnylawless

Johnnylawless Senior Member

first don't use an fmu, You have have an expensive motor, don't skimp,
    the reason I blew number three ringland is I had a boost spike to 12PSI.
    if you use Uberdata do it right and have someone tune it. also a wideband AFR Gauge is your best friend with that kind of compression!!!
    Also piece your kit together, I'm currently re-thinking my tubo setup
    as the kit i have on it now I run 25PSI where with a GT35 I could probably push 10-15 and get the same results. Do some research it pays.

JIM

11. spectacle

spectacle Senior Member

you're setup was not one to model after lol

12. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

regardless, its not going to happen.

jeffie made 240 whp off 11 psi on a t3/t04e in a 84mm b16.

and if he wants a dinky turbo to spool quick, you're going to see even less power per psi

13. Domi31

Domi31 Member

The reason I put 250hp is becuas i was thinking off my crank. I dont know my whp. The jdm itr motor is rated at 200 at the crank so i figured it wouldnt be that much of a strech (feel free to set me strait). Also the reason i was thinking about a small turbo is becuase i read somewhere, i belive it was this site, that "psi doesnt brake motors, power does." So i figured i would be better off using a small turbo. But i would gladly look at a bigger turbo. What turbo would be good for this goal?

If i look at hondata or urberdata does it proteck for boost spikes? I know hondata comes with a boost cut for WG failure.
    This is for johnnylawless, when you blew the ring what fuel mangemnt did you have on it at the time?

14. Johnnylawless

Johnnylawless Senior Member

Uberdata street tuned and RC 310cc Injectors, It went lean I believe
    I took it to the track one night and it just didn't feel right after I Got home so I did a comp check on it and it was 210-210-180-210 so I knew something was wrong.
    then I Had Jeff @ importbuilders Bulletproof that MOFO For me.
    :ph34r:

15. SolLess16

SolLess16 Senior Member

once you run 5psi for a week you will want to turn it up- do it right the first time

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted