Turbo on ITR?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Afrodezyak

I don't want to piss anyone off and I know the ITR was built to be a NA engine for auto cross and is not meant to be on a drag strip but, whats so bad about installing a turbo on a B18c5? What is the best engine swap and turbo setup for my 95 HB? Should I go B16a SiR II? How would a B18c1 go with turbo? Also I am not going all out for drag I just want to take it to my local track here in El Paso TX and maybe roam the streets late at night :roll: .... Any help is appreciated!

Originally posted by Afrodezyak@Jan 4 2004, 07:22 AM
Also I am not going all out for drag I just want to take it to my local track here in El Paso TX and maybe roam the streets late at night :roll: .... Any help is appreciated!

Just watch out for all of the bikes going over a 100 on "the streets late at night!" :ph34r:

The itr isint a bad motor to boost at all. the only reason that it is normaly not the number one motor choosed to boost is because of its tight gear ratios and high compression. So if you do have the itr and wanna go boost which let me tell you now is very expensive but worth every penny, your gonna have to 1) run low boost if you wanna keep stock compresion or 2) build the bottom to support more boost.

1) do you already have the c5?
2) what power are you looking for?
3) how much money are you willing to spend?

I think the Ecko drag Civic piloted by Gary Gardella has a B18C5 with plenty of boost. To achieve high horsepower you must start with high horsepower. So it's simple to see that the Type-R is a good choice. Compression can be dropped anyhow.

I'd say just get a GS-R if you don't ALREADY have the Type-R though.

get a B18C1 and boost that .... youll be just as happy and spend a lot less money

Originally posted by b16ahatch@Jan 4 2004, 09:12 AM
1) do you already have the c5?
2) what power are you looking for?
3) how much money are you willing to spend?

No I don't have the c5 yet.
I'm looking for about 300 to 400 hp.
I am willing to spend about $6,000.

Could someone write me up a great engine and turbo setup?

get a b16, bulletproof the bottom end (84mm darton sleeves, endyne pistons, arp rods, etc), and then slap an fmax kit on there.

Originally posted by civicious@Jan 5 2004, 06:19 PM
get a b16, bulletproof the bottom end (84mm darton sleeves, endyne pistons, arp rods, etc), and then slap an fmax kit on there.

I agree except on the endyne pistons, you don't need them, I'd go with JE, Weisco, I personally think you pay too much for the endyne name. Now if you were going NA they would be some of the top piston choices.

And also, balance and blueprint the entire motor to get a really bulletproof motor, it really helps.

Originally posted by Iquark@Jan 5 2004, 08:32 PM

I agree except on the endyne pistons, you don't need them, I'd go with JE, Weisco, I personally think you pay too much for the endyne name. Now if you were going NA they would be some of the top piston choices.

i thought the endyne pistons were modified weisco pistons?

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Jan 5 2004, 09:25 PM-->
@Jan 5 2004, 08:32 PM

i thought the endyne pistons were modified weisco pistons?

agreed, they are modded wiseco pistons...

Originally posted by civicious@Jan 5 2004, 08:19 PM

Could you write up everything I would need for the bottom end and post a link for the fmax kit?

Also what does balancing and bluepriniting the engine do and how much does it cost?

you = lazy sack of fuck :D

j/k here ya go:

darton 84mm sleeves
arp rods
pistons (i'd go with higher compression endyne, but that's just me)
piston rings
wrist pins

here's the link for the fmax kit: http://www.turbo-kits.com/civic_turbo_kits.html there's a couplea other kits on there, i like the fmax personally, turbonetics is the shizzy!

enjoi!

edit: IMO if you're gonna build your bottom end, you might as well use high-compression pistons, even with a turbo. More compression = more power, and if you build your bottom end you should be able to handle higher compression. This brings us back to the "does more compression = more power with boost" argument...

Me, when i get some $$$ and build my block and get a turbo, im gonna push at LEAST 11:1... so fuck all yall! :lol:

Originally posted by Afrodezyak@Jan 4 2004, 08:22 AM
I don't want to piss anyone off and I know the ITR was built to be a NA engine for auto cross and is not meant to be on a drag strip but, whats so bad about installing a turbo on a B18c5? What is the best engine swap and turbo setup for my 95 HB? Should I go B16a SiR II? How would a B18c1 go with turbo? Also I am not going all out for drag I just want to take it to my local track here in El Paso TX and maybe roam the streets late at night :roll: .... Any help is appreciated!

a friend of mine had a b18c5 on 12 lbs. of boost. I didn't know him when he had the type r turbo but when I did he had a b20/vtec turbo setup and it was pretty fast. he said his b20/vtec turbo setup was nothing compared to his type r turbo. of course it had a fully built bottom end.

Wiseco pistons are great for all motor but shit for turbo. go with Arias or JE.

Originally posted by civicious@Jan 5 2004, 10:04 PM
you = lazy sack of fuck :D

I'm not lazy... ;) I am just doing more research on other web sites and checking back to this one every 20 mins or so. Thanks for all of your help!

man forget that over priced piece of shit motor..b18c5 is pretty crappy for what you pay for. i mean it does have a stock port and polished head and all the type r goods but thats like fixin up a b18 just as much and you blowin by these itr. you know what i mean? but if you boost i rather LS/turbo when your boosting you dont need vtec, i mean yea it would be more power to you but i think its better to run turbo without vtec.

i dont know about ya'll but in dallas, we can get ls motors from 200-400. i mean it might be stolen but who gives a shit right? anyways that and a vtec head, turbo kit and maybe some internals to hold the boost. would run you about 5gs? i think thats hell of alot better deal then a over price motor

[dont hate, its just what i think]

I hear what your saying, but a b18c5 is far more reliable than anything you can build.Have you ever drivin in a type r or something with a b18c5 in it..probably not. For a 1.8L motor that thing is pretty damn impressive.

I do agree though, I wouldn't buy a b18c5 I would rather turbo a built LS or GSR. I've heard and seen a couple of all-motor Ls's runnin 13's and turbo LS's in the 12's.

reliable? well shit, every motor is unreliable when your gonna boost, theres always a chance of you braking a rod or something. yea the itr motor is A LOT more reliable when its N/A but when your boosting theres many things that can happen. thats why im saying instead of getting a itr motor when your gonna have to replace the pistons and rods..maybe new sleeves. why not get a cheaper block and build that and slap a vtec head on it. it'll be reliable and fast.

i bought a motor just a few weeks ago and droped it in my hatch, its a b18a [ls] block with je pistons and crower rods, new stronger sleeves (forgot the name) and it came with a itr head with all the itr goods including the lsd tranny. i bought it for 4gs all together, basically how much a b18c5 cost and they can even hang with me!

my advice is buy a ls and build that up. just ls/turbo man, who needs vtec when you got boost. now that way your motor wont go through that oil so fast. i was interested in b20 but now thats a problem, b20 is hella not reliable. the only way that hoe is reliable is if you do it right and rebuild the whole freakin motor. when it has vtec/turbo...jeez i seen soo many of those blow up and it sucks to be them haha :D

go with a b18C and build it, its cheaper the the C5 and with that money through in a turbo.
u wont be disapointed

Back