Turbo or Supercharged for auto tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JoeDaddy

hey guy's i need your help on which setup is better for a 95 civic coupe d16y5 with an automatic tranny, I've heard that its not a good idea to turbo an auto unless you want to spend a lot of money to set it up right, is this true? some have even said to switch out the tranny to manuel and turbo it. I havent done alot of upgrades other than just rebuild the motor and ported and polished the head and aem under drive pulleys also added a full exhaust with no cat. Really not wanting to change any enternal parts unless i have too, dont want to build a race car either just want to have more hp to make up for the auto trans, also its gonna be my daily driver and my wife drives it every once in awhile, hence the reason i dont switch to standard. Your inputs are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.:)

I would think a supercharger would be better in this case. Smooth and consistant power throughout the rpm range. less chance of shocking the the trans with a power surge from a turbo spooling up. Try looking in to a JRSC setup. They don't build them any more for the d series motors but you might be able to get a old stock one from the maker or there are alot of used ones out on the internet.

if you want performance, ditch the autofailure before you do anything. teach the wife how to drive stick.

Thanks for the inputs guys, although teaching the wife to drive stick is a task in itself but it looks like i would like to change over to a standard tranny considering that my friends are saying that i would be missing out on a big time rush from having control over a turbo spooling up instead of a smooth shift. I did find a jrsc on ebay for a d series for 750 and is tempting but it does look a little worn out dont want to take a chance. So guys what turbo setup do ya"ll suggest i go with?

something small would be a good place to start. If you are inclined to build your own turbo kit out of a junkyard a t25 off of a nissan, a 14g from a dsm or many other small oem turbos would be good options. The advantage of a oem turbo is that they normally are water cooled and tend to be sized for good response on small stock engines. If you don't care about low and midrange but want the most top end power look into a 16g mitsubishi turbo or even a t3 from say a ford svo or turbo coupe. for massive overkill you could get a hx35 from a early cummins or a big garrett from a 6.5 chev or powerstroke. If you want to buy brand new look into something along the lines of a gt28r turbo. I have not used a gt28 myself but it looks to be a populer unit. Be carefull shopping for turbos on ebay. most of the cheapish kits have crap componants that do not last very long.

hey thanks fernpatch for all the helpful inputs, I'll look into those turbo's your talking about and I'll do a search on this forum to see what is needed to go from an automatic to standard. Oh what do you guys think about this, I have a friend that has a b18c1 laying around his garage, no harness but has the computer only one thing it's locked up, he really does,nt know whats wrong with it he just said that he was driving around and he heard a loud thunk and thats it. it wont crank or anything he said. Any ideas what it could be and is it a costly fix, the reason im asking is that he told me that i could have it and i was thinking that maybe if it was worth it I would put that engine in my car and not even turbo it. What do you think?

sorry dont know how to close this post, i will no longer be putting turbo or a supercharger in my civic. I came across a sweet deal on a b18a1 complete swap standard tranny. Starting a new thread in engine building.

Back