Turbo Or Supercharger?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BallinPrelude

OK i have a 99 Honda Prelude (non SH). I am interested in doing some sort of forced induction. I have been researching forced induction for the preludes and virtually everyone goes for the turbo and few use the supercharging method. Why is that? I know the differnces between turbos and superchargers but r turbos easier on preludes or what?? I was kind of wanting to go w/ the supercharger because i already have an intake and headers and i dont want to pitch them b/c that would be a waste. What do u think i should do? thanks

if you get a supercharger you dont need different headers as it is belt driven...
supercharger would be a better autocrossing but not for street racing. turbo is where its at for street racing and in my opinion turbo is better as when you go around the corner, you dont have that instant power to spin the wheels..but whatever floats ur boat

The Vortech centrifugal is has to spool, it gives you power like a turbo does, but spools on intake air (???).

Its simple = small blasts, autox, acceleration = Supercharger (roots/belt style)

top end, drag racing, street racing, highway racing = Turbo or centrifugal

don t buy a junk jrsc the fmus always go out!
and u can t get enuff power without spending 3 grand.After u buy supercharger

turbo r great but no bottom end
and if u want it as a daily driver u ill have to spend 3 grand to get it fast and reliable

just save that money
get a hondata and raise that engines compression

the greddy 15g has pretty good bottom end....bout doubt it would fit on ur prelude.....

Originally posted by tomtom@Apr 14 2003, 10:44 PM

and if u want it as a daily driver u ill have to spend 3 grand to get it fast and reliable

just save that money

fmu's always go out? i've never heard of that, and if its true big deal, buy another for 70 bucks or get a real fuel system

and if you have a turbo that gives you good low end, chances are that it sucks at high rpm, so congratulations you can spin the tires in low rpm and be slow after you get in the higher gears...best of both worlds :rolleyes:

I spent 1500 on my turbo setup and its pretty fast and reliable

yeah, raise your compression so you can get 15 hp :rolleyes:

turbo ownz all :wall:

Originally posted by karnash@Apr 15 2003, 04:15 AM
the greddy 15g has pretty good bottom end....bout doubt it would fit on ur prelude.....

just about any turbo would fit in an prelude and accord. the space infront of the engine is much larger than civics and tegs.

Originally posted by SolReaver+Apr 15 2003, 04:26 AM-->
@Apr 14 2003, 10:44 PM

just save that money

fmu's always go out? i've never heard of that, and if its true big deal, buy another for 70 bucks or get a real fuel system

and if you have a turbo that gives you good low end, chances are that it sucks at high rpm, so congratulations you can spin the tires in low rpm and be slow after you get in the higher gears...best of both worlds :rolleyes:

I spent 1500 on my turbo setup and its pretty fast and reliable

yeah, raise your compression so you can get 15 hp :rolleyes:

turbo ownz all :wall:

If ur fmu goes out most of the time its a really big deal.
Ur shit will run lean and bust a gasket or blow a motor (if u don t know that something is wrong with ur car.)

I take it u don t have a supercharger...
Cause u don t know what the f--k ur talking about.

just do the math
jrsc 40hp gain with intake, exhaust and headers (5 gran easy)

u can get 30hp from raiseing ur compression, and adding camshafts and ect
and u wont spend 5 grand
so u spend 1500 on a turbo kit and its fast ha?whats ur 1/4
better yet
run it against my lsvtec, supercharged with directed port nitrous

i guess turbo does own all but it coast to do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah this guy, wow, I am appauled. I wish upping compression and cams gave 30 hp, but eyah well it doesn't do much compared to forced induction because air is everything. To actually put everything in the motor, any shop will charge out of the ass for it, and yeah www.homemadeturbo.com 0wns this guy. :angry:

I want ls/vtec with a supercharger, and direct port nitrous injection, but yeah well not everyone can dump like 10k+ in their motor alone but yeah most people can't afford that working a minimum wage job just trying to pay for insurance and gas and save a lil extra on the side to buy a swap down the road, err meaning most peope meaning myself atleast.

upping the compression does a LOT for turbo cars.

high compression = torque
torque = lessens lag
less lag = quicker spool
quicker spool = more air coming out
more air coming out = more air to spin the turbo
more air to spin the turbo = more power per any rpm compared to a lower compression motor.

BUT, tuning higher compression is harder, and requires better gas.

on my 9:1 motor, i could get away with 91 octane if i wasn't planning to beat on it/boost it a lot, such as say, a long highway trip where im out of boost for most the time.
but on full boost, i'll be on 94.
at the track, 108

now take a 10:1 motor. again, not to much higher, but its a big difference. i wouldn't use less than 93 for even a daily highwy trip as described above, for fear of detonation.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Apr 15 2003, 11:12 PM
Yeah this guy, wow, I am appauled. I wish upping compression and cams gave 30 hp, but eyah well it doesn't do much compared to forced induction because air is everything. To actually put everything in the motor, any shop will charge out of the ass for it, and yeah www.homemadeturbo.com 0wns this guy. :angry:

I want ls/vtec with a supercharger, and direct port nitrous injection, but yeah well not everyone can dump like 10k+ in their motor alone but yeah most people can't afford that working a minimum wage job just trying to pay for insurance and gas and save a lil extra on the side to buy a swap down the road, err meaning most peope meaning myself atleast.

u should check dyno charts
30hp isnt that hard raise compression added camshafts, tune camgears and ect.

Getting piston Install and whole motors assembly balance is around 250-300
just take ur engine apart and take it to a manchine shop.

don t be a dum ass like me
the piston and rods i didn t even need and the supercharger is a pice of shit.
after i dyno tune and jet the nitrous i won t even get 400hp
(at least thats what eveyone tells me)

look tomtom- you say you have a badass ls/vtec motor with a blower...what do YOU run at the track, and post some pics and timeslips. what is your setup?

If ur fmu goes out most of the time its a really big deal.
Ur shit will run lean and bust a gasket or blow a motor (if u don t know that something is wrong with ur car.)

No shit its a problem if the fmu goes bad, and you shouldnt be using a fmu anyways...FMU= fucks motors up

and thanks a lot for clarifying what it means to "blow a motor"..i had no idea what that meant till you told me :rolleyes:

I take it u don t have a supercharger...

no i dont have a supercharger, cause i know that turbo>supercharger

so u spend 1500 on a turbo kit and its fast ha?whats ur 1/4
better yet
run it against my lsvtec, supercharged with directed port nitrous

havent been to the track yet, hopefully soon i will have some slips. You dont have to spend a shitload of money to go fast, ive spent around 1600 bucks and i have a turbo setup with a ss mani, uberteg's stand alone ecu chip ( just need to find a cheap laptop now) t3/60-1 turbo and a spearco intercooler, tial 35mm wg, hks bov.

post pics of your motor, and slips if you have them

I haven t ran it at the tracks cause i still need the new hondata
(I know it ll run mid 13s right now)i ll be in the 12s with the nitrous.
I got pixs.
how do u post them?

Back