Turbo vs. Supercharger?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 93 Integra RS, I have already modded the block, head, intake,etc....., but I am looking to buy either a turbo or a supercharger, dont know which I should go with? Need more horses on take off! Already got the topend booming!

if you want more off the line power then a roots type supercharger is what you want. It gives full boost right when you floor it, a turbo needs to spool. A large turbo will yeild more power then a supercharger would at the same psi though.

sure, a supercharger will add some low end, but you drive a honda.

if you want take off, learn how to drive and launch your car.

go to the track. practice.

pull a 1.9 on street tires or 1.7 on slicks in the 60 foot.

until you have both of those down- its YOU holding the car back, not the lack of low rpm power.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 28 2005, 09:47 AM

go to the track. practice.

until you have both of those down- its YOU holding the car back, not the lack of low rpm power.
[post=467072]Quoted post[/post]​

As of late, I've had some terrible 60' times. I've been out of practice for so long.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]+Feb 28 2005, 01:18 PM-->
[Freemantle said:
@ Feb 28 2005, 01:18 PM)]pissedoffsol
[Freemantle said:
@Feb 28 2005, 09:47 AM

go to the track.  practice.

As of late, I've had some terrible 60' times. I've been out of practice for so long.
[post=467150]Quoted post[/post]​

Got great launch! Just drags in 2nd, When it shifts from first to second it lags like hell. Cant get the lag out.

Originally posted by LilRedTegRS+Feb 28 2005, 08:57 PM-->
[Freemantle

go to the track.  practice.

[post=467150]Quoted post[/post]​

Got great launch! Just drags in 2nd, When it shifts from first to second it lags like hell. Cant get the lag out. Its an automatic bytheway.
[post=467373]Quoted post[/post]​
[/QUOTE]

I would go with a turbo. When i shift from 1st to 2nd i stay at full boost... maybe drop a psi or 2 but there is still no laggy feeling.

Originally posted by b16coupe@Feb 28 2005, 08:11 PM
I would go with a turbo. When i shift from 1st to 2nd i stay at full boost... maybe drop a psi or 2 but there is still no laggy feeling.
[post=467375]Quoted post[/post]​

automatic or manual?

When you have a Front Wheel Drive Car - Turbo Lag is ur friend.

Get a turbo - s/c's are worthless on hondas.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Feb 28 2005, 08:21 PM
When you have a Front Wheel Drive Car - Turbo Lag is ur friend.

Get a turbo - s/c's are worthless on hondas.
[post=467378]Quoted post[/post]​

which is gonna cost me more?

Automatic sucks.. initial turbolag is even more pronounced...

once you are moving it is ok so you should be fine with shifting from 1 to 2. does your tranny shift quick? you can get a torque convertor with a higher stall rate if you are set on keeping the auto.

depends where you get the turbo - if it is DIY then turbo will probably be cheaper.

buying a kit from a company will be about the same

Originally posted by erikespo@Feb 28 2005, 08:28 PM
Automatic sucks.. initial turbolag is even more pronounced...

once you are moving it is ok so you should be fine with shifting from 1 to 2. does your tranny shift quick? you can get a torque convertor with a higher stall rate if you are set on keeping the auto.

depends where you get the turbo - if it is DIY then turbo will probably be cheaper.

buying a kit from a company will be about the same
[post=467381]Quoted post[/post]​

what size converter? I have an HKS converter but dont know nothing about it. A freind gave it to me.

After watching a friend destroy 2 Camaro auto trannies, I won't even attempt modifying an automatic transmission. You might benifit from a built block/tranny combo. If you don't have engine building know-how, having a shop build up a junk block is relativley inexpensive. Just break it in right. My good friend's brother just blew the hell out of his new built 4g63.

If your engine is already 'modded' enough or money is an issue, i'd still look for a solid manual transmission to swap in.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]@Feb 28 2005, 08:43 PM
After watching a friend destroy 2 Camaro auto trannies, I won't even attempt modifying an automatic transmission. You might benifit from a built block/tranny combo. If you don't have engine building know-how, having a shop build up a junk block is relativley inexpensive. Just break it in right. My good friend's brother just blew the hell out of his new built 4g63.

If your engine is already 'modded' enough or money is an issue, i'd still look for a solid manual transmission to swap in.
[post=467388]Quoted post[/post]​

My engine is already modded, original tranny with an overhaul. It torques HARD!! But in the automatic I got, the first and second gear are in the same linkage, hard to determine what a good take off is.

christ. why didin't you tell us it was a slush box?

of COURSE its going to lag. the LS tranny is long as hell to begin with. Then, take one gear out and make in an auto, and now it sucks even more and is even longer.

you will NEVER be fast with that slush box.

auto->manual conversion with a GSR/b16/itr tranny is your next step LONG before boost.

yup....thats why i sold my teg......did not want to fuck around and do the conversion...... and i had a b16 auto tranny from japan......

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 1 2005, 09:17 AM

you will NEVER be fast with that slush box.

auto->manual conversion with a GSR/b16/itr tranny is your next step LONG before boost.
[post=467537]Quoted post[/post]​

For read dude, u gotta make sure that boosting ur car is what you really want to do. Car projects are always a big hassle and pain in the ass.

Back