Turbo'ed B16a3 or B18a1??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MXDesa

From all you guys experienced with several motors, would it be a better idea to turbo a second Gen (92-95 Sir2) B16 or a Teg' B18a1? Is it worth squeezing out a few extra Hundred bucks for the Vtec B16 or is the B18a1 the way to go?

EDIT: This is going into a 1992 DX Hatch

VTEC is definately worth it, if you want the extra displacement later than its is only a block swap away.

this opinion is coming from a guy who is currently building an LS/turbo tho. haha

Im sorry i disagree, vtec has nothing to do with displacement...besides vtec is best for higher compression, and for a turbo u want lower compressions, which kinda cancels out vtec....personally if ur going turbo i would do a b18b the Ls integra motor the block and pistons are great for just bolting on a turbo, i can boost a lil higher cause of that..just my opinion though

As long as his b16 is tuned good to accept that boost then he can run higher compression. The LS is only good in comparison to the b16 in the displacement department but if you take that into account your turboing anyways and you really won't need all that.

I say a GSR motor would be a much better starting point if you can afford it.

Milan

Back